LL-L "Lexicon" 2002.10.03 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Oct 3 23:38:37 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 03.OCT.2002 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Holger Weigelt platt at HOLGER-WEIGELT.DE
Subject: LL-L "Festivals" 2002.10.02 (11) [E]

>From: Eldo Neufeld <greneuf at interchange.ubc.ca>
>Subject: LL-L Festivals
>
>Holger Weigelt (in answering Thomas Byro) wrote about a festival in Eastern
>Friesland called "St. Martin," in which children go from house to house
>singing, and receive gifts, among them traditional "gingernuts."  In
>Mennonite Plautdietsch tradition, a common reward, especially at
>Christmastime, for such activity would be what were called "Pä°¡nä´¢ (Ger:
>Pfefferní²í³¥, Eng: pepper- nuts).  Does anyone know whether there might
>possibly be any kind of historical connection between "gingernuts" and
>"Pä°¡nä´¿"  The Mennonite Community Cookbook (c.1950) recipe makes no
>mention of pepper, but does call for peppermint extract.  Pä°¡nä´ (after
>baking) are small, hard, candy-like, confections beloved of Mennonites
>everywhere (whether Plautdietsch-speaking or not!), primarily around
>Christmastime.  Any thoughts on the subject would be welcomed.
>
>Eldo Neufeld
>4040 Blenheim St.
>Vancouver, BC   V6L 2Y9
>Tel: (604) 738-4378

Hello Eldo !
When I wrote about >gingernuts< it was because I didn't know a better
translation for our Eastern Friesland LS word >pe:perno"o"ten< (~e:~ is a
long ~e~ and ~o"~ is o-Umlaut - You know the problems with displaying
diacritics in my postings !?). Of course >pe:perno"o"ten< is the same word
as Your >Pa"pana"t< (German: Pfeffernüsse). They are a kind of spiced
cookies, very solid. Unfortunately I don't know the recipe but I'll hear
around.
Kind regards
Holger

----------

From: R. F. Hahn sassisch at yahoo.com
Subject: Delectables

PEPPERNÖÖT - PFEFFERNÜSSE
(Gingerbread Nuts, German)

(1)

Soft butter
4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon double-acting baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup honey
1 cup dark corn syrup
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon lard (optional)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees (F). Coat two large baking sheets lightly
with butter. Combine the flour, baking powder, cloves, allspice and cinnamon
in a bowl, and set aside. In a deep, heavy 5- to 6-quart saucepan, bring the
honey, corn syrup and sugar to a boil over moderate heat, stirring until the
sugar dissolves. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 5
minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, add the butter and lard, and stir
until melted. Beat in the flour mixture, a cup so at a time. When the batter
is smooth, drop it by teaspoonfuls onto the baking sheets, leaving an inch
or so between the cookies. Bake in the middle of the oven for about 15
minutes, or until the cookies are firm to the touch and light brown.
Transfer them to a cake rack to cool, and proceed with the remaining
batches, coating the baking sheets with a little butter each time. If you
like, you may brush the cookies while still warm with the almond glaze for
_Honigkuchen_, Honey Cake. _Pfeffernüsse_ can be stored for 6 to 8 weeks in
tightly sealed jars or tins. Makes about 30 cookies.

They tend to be covered with sugar glaze (powdered sugar and water
solution).

(2)

1/3 cup dark corn syrup
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup shortening
1 beaten egg
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
powdered sugar

Melt the corn syrup, honey, sugar and shortening in a medium heavy saucepan
until the shortening melts and the sugar dissolves. Cool until barely
lukewarm. In a large bowl, beat the egg, then add the corn-syrup mixture. In
a small bowl, whisk together the flour and spices. Mix the flour into the
corn-syrup mixture until well blended. Dough can be chilled at this time to
develop flavor for up to 48 hours. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and lightly
grease cookie sheets. Taking one tablespoon of dough for each cookie, roll
into balls between the palms of your hands and place on prepared cookie
sheets. Bake for eight to 10 minutes, or until just pale golden. Cool on
wire racks and dust with powdered sugar. Store in airtight containers.

PEPERNOTEN
(Gingerbread Nuts, Dutch)

150 g self raising flour
75 g castor sugar (the brown variety, if possible)
90 g butter
2 tbsp milk
3 teaspoon _speculaaskruiden_ (if you can get this mixture)

_Speculaaskruiden_ is a mixture of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, pimento, mace,
ground ginger, and cardamom, but leaving out some of the more exotic spices
will not be disastrous.

Mix ingredients into a dough that can be easily managed (add a little more
milk if too crumbly, a little more flour if too wet). Form into balls the
size of a small marble, Put them on a greased baking tray in the middle of a
pre-heated oven (150'C) for about 15-20 minutes.

Kumpelmenten,