LL-L "Lexicon" 2002.10.07 (02) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Mon Oct 7 17:08:30 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 07.OCT.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Holger Weigelt <platt at HOLGER-WEIGELT.DE>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2002.10.04 (08) [E/LS]

>Ron schreef:
....  Mi dí±Zí¸´, dat Woord "Bíºsí¾¢ keem
>vun
>> _boden_ > _bí¹'íµ®_ af.
>
>That's funny, because they call the attic "Bí±¢í¾¥" in the German Southwest
>(Schwaben), and I had never heard of a similar expression. In High German,
>"Bí±¢í¾¥" means "stage", and I was very confused when I moved to Ulm 16
years
>ago to hear prospective landlords tell me the apartment came with a stage.
>
>Regards,
>Gabriele Kahn
>
>Leeive Ron,
>Du hesst schreeven
>
>>> De "Mieze-" (E: "mice-"?) -katze/cat wíºsíµ² ne opp 'n Bíºsíº®*, mann
opp 'n
>>> Bíºsíº­*. Or gifft ook 'n "Bíºsíº® in anner snaaksche LS-Munnoorten?
>
>>Klaar heett dat "Bíºsíº®*, tominnst in de mehrsten Dialekten, 'n paar heel
>>snaaksche an 't Enn vun de Elv maal nich mitrekend.  ;)  _Bíºsíº­* heff ik
>>bitherto nich maal in Wíº>í²¢eukers funnen.  Mi dí±Zí¸´ dat Woord
"Bíºsíº®* keem
>vun
>>_boden_ > _bí¹'íµ®_ af.
>>
>>Reinhard/Ron
>
>Mookst mi heel díº>í²®ein!
>Nee- ick bí±ºí¾ recht seeker, hier, an dennen "beusen", ook "leeigen" *s*
>Innen vonne Elv, waard  "Bíºsí¸¢e)m" seggt, as (E) "bottom" (I assume,
cognate
>of  [UG] "Boden").
>> Fiete:
>
>> De "Mieze-" (E: "mice-"?) -katze/cat wíºsíµ² ne opp 'n Bíºsíº®*, mann opp
>'n
>> Bíºsíº­*. Or gifft ook 'n "Bíºsí¾¢ in anner snaaksche LS-Munnoorten?
>
>> Ron:
>
>> Klaar heett dat "Bíºsí¾¢, tominnst in de mehrsten Dialekten, 'n paar
>heel
>> snaaksche an 't Enn vun de Elv maal nich mitrekend.  ;)  _Bíºsí½Y heff
>ik
>> bitherto nich maal in Wíº>í²¢í¹®íµ² funnen.  Mi dí±Zí¸´, dat Woord
"Bíºsí¾¢
>keem > > vun
>> _boden_ > _bí¹'íµ®_ af.
>
>Leve Ron,
>
>Ik glíº>í¶ wat "bíºsí¾¢ í¹²í¼¥rhaftiger is as "boden" > "bí¹'íµ®" mid /d/-
>utfall. Vergliik mhd. <bí±ºí¸¥)> / mnd. <bí¹ºíµ¦gt;, laat up ahd *<buní¦§t;
>sluten. Verwandschup mid <boden> gift dat wol, avers gaait dat veel
>wider trí±zí¼ denk ik, vergliik ags. <bydhme> "schipsbodden". "Bíºsí¾¢ is
>also in de like familie, avers nich dat like woord as "bodden". In de
>Baverdí²³í´³ch mundaarden segt man to`n bispeel in`t Schw䢩sch "Bí±¢í¾¥"
>(or /bi:n(e)/) un heet ook "bíºsí¾¢.
>Dat etymoloogsche wíº>í²¢ook vun Kluge snakt daar ook vun, wat germ.
>*<buní¦§t; mit í¹²í¼¥rhaftige utfall vun en dentaal víº>í² *bhu(dh)niá
µpkeem.
>Versipt is wol ook Awestisch buna "bodden", un Ooldirisch bun "dat
>í±ºí¾¥re en".
>
>Gríº'íµ®s,
>
>Dan

Hello Fiete, Ron and all !
As I mentioned already, in Eastern Friesland Low Saxon we have >bo"o"em< as
one possible plural for >bo:m< (tree) besides >bo:men<. But also we have
>bo:m< meaning >bottom, ground, base<. >bo"o"n< is >attic, loft etc.< but
>stage< would be >bu"u"en< as a German loan or mainly used >spo"o"lde^l<.
(>de^l< is >floor; plank<)
By the way: >bo"o"ners< are a special kind of broom made of heather used
for cleaning kettles or pots.
At last let me add a little correction to my last posting about cat's names
in EFLS: If we call a cat we'd use >pu:s< but if this word replaces the
word >cat< it will be >pu^s< (mi:n dochter ho"o"r dreiklo"o"ert pu^s lieght
net akro´t te:gen mi: up 't so:fa un slo"pt as ik dit sghri:f).
Kumpelment
Holger