LL-L "Idiomatica" 2002.10.01 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Tue Oct 8 22:53:13 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 08.OCT.2002 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Marco Evenhuis <evenhuis at zeelandnet.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2002.10.01 (03) [E]

denis dujardin wrote:

> Not to forget: in West-Flemish: "t'spuuwt
> kattejongen" (litt: "it is spitting kittens")
> meaning : "It's raining cats and dogs".

Time to spit out some expressions related to
cats in Zeelandic. At random, first a variation
on the one mentioned by Denis above:

*_de katten spiee_: litt. the cats are spitting; it's
going to rain
*_de katte kom op 't koord"_: the cat's coming
on the cord; it's getting tricky now
*_da za de katte 't 'aer uutgae_: it will come out
the cat's hair; it's going to be a close/near thing
*_da geeve ik an de katte_: that, I give to the cat;
I don't care about that
*_allez, de katte van de plaete_: come on, (send)
the cat of the fireplate; get out of the way
*_zò groôs as een katte die een daerm sleept_:
as proud as a cat dragging a bowel; very proud
*_e baemiskatte_: an 'autumn cat', litt. a very weak
cat, but also used in respect to weak children

A popular wisdom:

"Negen weken jaege,
negen weken draege,
negen weken blind,
da's de katte z'n kind."

(Nine weeks of hunting
nine weeks of carrying
nine weeks blind,
that's a cat's child)

Has anyone heard of an equivalent of the Zeelandic
_kattendans_ (fairy ring, Dutch: heksenkring), not
only in the meaning of fungi growing in a circle, but
also litterally a circle of dancing cats at night, putting
a spell on someone and thus both causing the circle
of fungi and putting the spell.
The 'Woordenboek der Zeeuwse Dialecten' mentions
a song:

"Hand in hand,
poôt in poôt,
Jan van Balen