LL-L "Idiomatica" 2002.10.09 (01) [A/E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Oct 9 14:31:07 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 09.OCT.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Reuben Epp <repp at silk.net>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2002.10.01 (06) [E]

> From: Marco Evenhuis <evenhuis at zeelandnet.nl>
> Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2002.10.01 (03) [E]
>
> Has anyone heard of an equivalent of the Zeelandic
> _kattendans_ (fairy ring, Dutch: heksenkring), not
> only in the meaning of fungi growing in a circle, but
> also litterally a circle of dancing cats at night, putting
> a spell on someone and thus both causing the circle
> of fungi and putting the spell.

Dear Lowlanders,

In the Plautdietsch dialect of Lower Saxon/Low German
there are well-known expressions relating to the dancing
of cats, as follows:

Nu es de Kotadaunz doa! /  Nu fangt de Kotadaunz aun!

Literally translated into English they read: 'Now the dance
of the tomcats is there! / begins!'

They are exclamations of dismay or alarm at turmoil and/or
recriminations that  follow revelation of secretive or
undesirable activities.  These Plautdietsch expressions
apparently do not relate to the casting of spells or to the
growth of fungi.

Reuben Epp

----------

From: johnno55 at excite.com johnno55 at excite.com
Subject: LL-L "Afrikaans" 2002.10.07 (05) [A/E]

Groete aan almal in ons lys,

Ek het Ron se boodskap deeglik ter harter geneem dus skryf ek sommer
nou so 'n paar woordjies. Welkom Susan, dis lekker om jou hier by ons te
hê.

I am a "rooinek" who also loves Afrikaans even the Zimbabwean version
where I once lived.

Speaking of idioms with animals Afrikaans truly abounds with them "hy
weet
van iets soveel soos 'n bobbejaan van Godsdiens" and "ou koeie uit die
sloot
grawe". The first one is self explanatory but the second means
remembering
things which should have been forgotten (many wives are adept at this
:)).
I hope I wont be executed for this!

John le Grange

PS Ron your Afrikaans is vastly better than my Niedersachsies but I can at
least read many of the sister languages easily thanks to the lowlander's
list.