LL-L "Administrativa" 2002.10.11 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Oct 11 18:04:23 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 11.OCT.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: R. F. Hahn <admin at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Administrativa

Dear Lowlanders,

(1)
Since I sent you the last administrative message a week ago, we have been
able to welcome a few new members, and they joined us from the following
places:

   Australia:
      Victoria:
         Harcourt [1]
         Melbourne [1]
   Brazil:
      São Paolo:
         Santos [1]
      ? [1]
   Finland:
      Itä-Uusimaa:
         Kerava [1]
   Korea:
      Kyönggi-do:
         Seoul [1]
   Philippines:
      Cavite:
         Rosario [1]
   United Kingdom:
      Scotland:
         Aberdeenshire:
            Aberdeen [1]
   United States of America:
      Arizona:
         Scottsdale [1]
      Illinois:
         Chicago [1]
      Mississippi:
         Hattiesburg [1]
      Tennessee:
         Kodak [1]
      ? [1]
(2)
It is very important that all of you are familiar with our rules and
guidelines (http://www.lowlands-l.net/rules.htm).  The following rules in
particular tend to be ignored:

Keep subjects separate: Do not submit a single posting in which more than
one topic is discussed. ("Topic" equals "subject line".) This also applies
when you respond to other people's postings.

Edit quotes: When you reply to what someone else has written, don't just hit
the reply button and write your reply before or after the quoted text. Edit
out
whatever is not essential, most definitely the Lowlands-L masthead and
footer. (They are going to stay, for good reasons.) Also, don't do what some
do: they follow this rule nicely until they run out of things to say, and
then they let the rest of the quoted text dangle behind their "signature."

Give credit: Don't forget to say who the writer of the text is to which you
are
responding. (When you hit the reply button your system most likely credits
the administrator or "Lowlands-L," the sender, even if they did not write
it.)

Identify yourself: Anonymous postings are not permitted and will be ignored
if anonymous submissions keep being sent despite a warning. Readers must be
able to see
who wrote a posting. Many people use automatic "signatures;" they are great,
as long as they are not attached. (No attachments allowed!) Otherwise, your
name must appear either with your email address or at the end of your
contribution. It is all right to have your surname appear in one place and
your given name in another place within the same posting.

(3)
As I already stressed in one of my replies to Susan Swanepoel (in
Afrikaans), many members may have favorites among the language and culture
varieties with which we deal here, but there are no favorites or lesser
liked ones as far as Lowlands-L as a whole is concerned.  All varieties are
to be given equal opportunity and respect and are never to me greeted with
expressions of scorn or disapproval.  This list is not about specific
languages and cultures as much as about their common base, and our mission
is to cherish not only the similarities but also the differences between
them.

(4)
I would like to remind you of "Lowlands Talk," our evolving companion series
of introductions to the Lowlands language varieties:
http://www.lowlands-l.net/talk/ You can get to it via our homepage
(http://www.lowlands-l.net) as well.  Some of the writing and translation
projects have not yet begun and others are underway but are not yet
published.  If you wish to help, and I hope you do, please write to me at
sassisch at yahoo.com, and I will let you know with which of the projects we
still need help.  You are also most welcome to write introductions to more
specific dialects or dialect groups, which would be listed under the
languages to which they belong.  These "sub-blurbs" do not need to follow
any specific format and style, as long as they are brief.  They do not need
to be highly scientific in style and substance.  Please bear in mind that
this series is aimed at as wide a readership as possible.

(5)
Please send your posting submissions to the posting address
(lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org). If you need to write to me regarding
List business (such as subscription), please contact me at the
administrative address (admin at lowlands-l.net).  If you wish to write to me
privately, please use my private address (sassisch at yahoo.com).