LL-L "Resources" 2002.10.12 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sat Oct 12 16:30:13 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 12.OCT.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Reynaldo Pimentel Damy Castro <rdamycastro at uol.com.br>
Subject: Appalachian and Scots (E)

Dear Users,

I've just signed in to this mailing list, which I hope I will never leave.

Also, I have had the chance (with Lowlands-L) to know all these wonderful
dialects from the Lowlands.

I have become fond of the Appalachian and Scots dialects and I will start
seeking texts, poems, songs and anything that might be of interest and
finally, post links   (if that is allowed*) so that, everyone, especially,
the new ones* (just like me) could get into the ''spirit'' .

I have been searching for songs in Scots and I've found a Rock/Punk band,
which I believe comes from Scotland and seems to perform some of its songs
in the Scots dialect.

The band is: The Real McKenzies. The following song has been found: Scots
Wha' ha'e.

Since I'm brand new to these dialects, I would apologise if I did any
mistake by mentioning that band/song as a Scots work. (In case it is not in
Scots)

I've found, also, this link that is all about Scots, sounds and texts. I
would recommend, especially, to the new subscribers who have never had
contact with such nice dialect.

http://www.electricscotland.com/si/features/scots/index.htm

I will soon come up with more links, including links related to the
Appalachian dialect.

Does anybody know other links? Anything that you might want to share is
welcome!

Have a nice weekend!

Reynaldo Damy Castro

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Welcome, and thank you for your first posting, Reynaldo, also to you, Bob
(Bowman)!

Thank you also for joining the Lowlands Talk Team
(http://www.lowlands-l.net/talk/), Reynaldo!  I will be back in touch with
you privately as soon as I'll get a chance.  It is a delight to have an
enthusiastic young person like you join LL-L and the project all the way
from Brazil.

Your posting reminded me that we ought to have a special online resource
guide for Appalachian, also an offline resource guide.  So any help with
that would be most welcome.  Of course, we ought to keep expanding the
existing guides.  I just added Colin Wilson's brand-new Scots textbook (the
first ever, and with audio-CDs!) to the Scots offline resource guide, and my
own copy is on its way from Scotland as we "speak."  I can't wait to get it.

Keep up your interests, and keep following your passion!

Goodwill to all!