LL-L "Delectables" 2002.10.14 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Mon Oct 14 19:27:41 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 14.OCT.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Eldo Neufeld <greneuf at interchange.ubc.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2002.10.13 (02) [E]

>From: Thomas Byro <thbyro at earthlink.net>
>Subject: LL-L "Festivals" 2002.10.02 (11) [E]
>
>I have continued my inquiries regarding Pfeffernuesse.  Several days ago I
>was with the Shirk family, Pennsylvania Dutch speaking Old Order or Team
>Mennonites.  Mrs. Shirk did indeed have a copy of the cookbook that you
>mention and the book contained 2 recipes for Pfeffernuesse, but she again
>stated that she had never eaten them.  She was intrigued enough however to
>consider baking them this year. Perhaps I will be responsible for having
>started a new Mennonite tradition in this area.  As an aside, she pointed
>out an interesting recipe the book contains for preparing enough food for
>175 men for a barn raising.
>
>Mrs. Shirk also pointed out that another member of her community that I
>know, Mark Nolt, came from Canada years ago speaking Plattdeutsch but
>married locally and now speaks Pennsylvania Dutch.  Perhaps I will ask him
>when I next see him.
>
>Tom Byro

Thomas, I'm not sure about this, but my impression certainly is that the
Pfeffernüsse tradtion is not as strong among the Pennsylvania Old Order
Amish as among other kinds of Mennonites.  I have known many Amish people,
in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Iowa, and Kansas, and although the subject never
came up, the folkways are somewhat different.  One thing no one has
previously mentioned on the Päpanät subject is something my wife does.
When she mixes a batch of dough, she rolls parts of it into longish rolls
(ca. 20 cm long, 2 cm in diameter), freezes them, then takes them out,
chops the individual "Nät" into 2 cm long pieces to be baked.  They
normally last all winter.