LL-L "Phonology" 2002.10.14 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Tue Oct 15 00:59:13 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 14.OCT.2002 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Ruud Harmsen <rh at rudhar.com>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2002.10.14 (01) [E]

12:23 14-10-2002 -0700, Lowlands-L:
>> I don't know if yiddish didn't carry the typical
>> German kind of "ue" and "oe" umlaut sounds,
>
>Yiddish, indeed, does not have these sounds:

Neither do many dialects in southern Germany and Austria.

>(by the way, in reading the above example please also note that Yiddish
>(unlike
>Standard German) pronounces the final consonant of "ich" with the
>consonant-sound
>that in Standard German does not occur in "ich" but does occur in
"ach".

As does Swiss German. Coincidence? I think not.

--
Ruud Harmsen <rh at rudhar.com>

From: Daniel Prohaska <daniel at ryan-prohaska.com>

Corrections of blabber-letter: read <all> for <oll> (I´m afraid I´ve
been wriing too much Cornish recently!!!)

Derounding has occured in Highest Allemannic!!!

Dan