LL-L "Etymology" 2002.10.15 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Tue Oct 15 15:27:24 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 15.OCT.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Ben J. Bloomgren <Godsquad at ev1.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2002.10.14 (06) [E]

I am not a linguist, and I do not speak any Slavic languages, but that word
sounds like bulwark.

----------

From: George M Gibault <gmg at direct.ca>

Hi!

Ron, I suspect falwark could be Prussian platt for pig-snare - cf. Afrikaans
valvark but for the Yiddish connection. As to OK - like my "pooch" query -
nobody knows for sure - although several theories exist, all involving
American initials or shorthand:

1. Andrew Jackson's semi literate shorthand for "oll korrect"
2. "Old Kinderhook" knickname for President Martin Van Buren
3. Initials of an Ellis Island immigration agent or similar bureaucrat
4. secret society written equivalent of secret handshake such as Omega Kappa
Old Kingdom or Original Konfederate.

Common modern expressions "On the level" "On the square" and "hoodwink" all
come from Masonic ritual. The similarity of OK to Scots emphatic positive
Ach aye! has always intrigued me. Kilwinning Lodge in southwest Scotland has
recently been shown to be the likely origin of Free Masonry in the British
Isles.

By the way, most Appalachians, while southerners, were not Confederates -
they were Mountain Yankees. As one East Tennessee song "Lincoln Was A Union
Man" put it:

"Ah'd raither be a Lincoln man and kerrie a wooden gun
Than to be a Rebel and always have to run."

and from the Frank Proffit of Watauga County North Carolina version of the
song "Going Across the Mountains"

"Goin' across the mountains if I have to crawl
Give old Jeff's men some of my rifle ball" (Jeff Davis - President of the
Confederate States of America)

Best wishes                     George

----------

From: Wim <wkv at home.nl>

Hi,

If that word were Dutch I'd think of to "fold"   and not of "full",
after all a fauteuil is nothing else than the fold stool used for the
king when he's on campaign....  (The rest had to stand).   And there is
the word "voller", having something to do with textile industry....
Wark is often an earthwork, a "defensive work" in Dutch, earth walls or
dikes, around a city or borough.   Not necessary connected working so...

As usually I don't have a clue, but I hope I bring somebody else to an
idea...

Moi!  Wim [Verdoold]