LL-L "Etymology" 2002.10.17 (11) [D/E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Oct 18 03:41:29 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 17.OCT.2002 (11) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Ed Alexander <edsells at cogeco.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2002.10.16 (09) [D/E]

At 04:35 PM 10/17/02 -0700, W. Jaap Engelsman wrote:

>Dit is niet de enige nieuwsgroep waarin telkens weer de vraag naar de
>geschiedenis van "O.K." opduikt. Er wordt nogal eens gesuggereerd dat de
ene
>theorie niet beter is dan de andere, en dat er nooit behoorlijk onderzoek
>naar is gedaan. Maar al in 1963-1964 heeft Allen Walker Read hieraan vijf
>diepgravende artikelen gewijd in "American Speech".  etc.

Sorry, I can only read Dutch, not write or speak it.  I was very glad to
finally see some substantiation of the Old Kinderhook derivation of Okay,
and it shows how the rage of using abbreviations at the time was perhaps
the catalyst.  Fortunately, this seems to have died out by the time of
Lincoln twenty years later, so the world isn't saying, Abee after every
sentence.  However, I still like the Choctaw language theory, since the
word not only sounds the same, it fulfills an almost identical (or at least
very, very similar) function.  Since this was such a very good article,
perhaps someone should take the time to translate it for the non-Dutch
readers.  Although, one of the great things about this List is NOT getting
everything in English and MAKING yourself learn to read some other Lowlands
languages, okay?

Ed Alexander, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada