LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.10.23 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Oct 23 16:10:21 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 23.OCT.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Kirky <planetkirky at yahoo.com.au>
Subject: Source of "Opoe"?

Greetings to all,

Incidentally for those interested in a humourous view of  'Strine'/
'Strayan'/ or Australian as most people know it, there is "The Dinkum
Dictionary: A ripper guide to Aussie English" by Lenie (Midge)
Johansen.  This has some gems such as 'cackleberry' meaning an egg, and
'checking (one's) eyelids for holes' meaning having a nap :)

Sincerely,
Kirstina [Bray]

----------

From: Kirky <planetkirky at yahoo.com.au>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.10.21 (03) [E]

Hi all,
This is interesting.
A well known Canadian stereotype is that everyone ends a sentence in
'eh' as emphasis, it's origin well known from early French influence.
Eg. if an Australian says "G'day mate", a Canadian says "Good day,
eh!".  I've noticed a number of Canadian immigrants in Australia, to
the point where there is a Toronto in Canada Bay, in the Sydney Region
NSW.

As the noticable rise in 'oui' (oh-u-e) for 'o' (oh) in South Australia
may be attributed to New Zealand migrants, perhaps this influx of 'eh'
might be from Canadian ones? Could be much earlier influences of
course, but it's something to ponder.

Kirstina [Bray]

----------

From: Browne, Kevin at Astronaut <BrowneK at brevard.k12.fl.us>
Subject: language varieties

Hoi allemaal,

Gary Taylor wrote:

"I always have to go to the 'Local' section - fair enough -
 but then any books on the local dialect are usually
to be found under the 'humour' subsection. For serious
study of dialects I've found most of the books to
be pretty useless."

First I would like to say I'm not attacking you Gary. Perhaps
I'm just in a bad mood, but some of the discussions are far
above me and I feel quite ignorant. I know many on this list
are doing whatever they can to protect and promote the
languages we so dearly love, but I think any "serious" book
on the study of dialects is useful and I haven't even seen
them. At least someone out there is trying, which is more
than I can say for the average person.

Secondly, I don't mean to brag on my methods as a teacher in
a high school, but many of my students have said that they
actually learned German in my class in comparison to other
foreign language classes where they may have learned how to
say "hello, good morning, my name is, goodbye" ...and that's
about it. I know my methods will always need work, but at
the moment, they are working. I would like to take my ideas
into the realm of minority languages from this list, particularly
Dutch, Zeeuws, Frysk, Afrikaans and now, thanks to Ron at least
one Native American language that has only about 6,000 speakers
here in the state of Florida. But, I need help, because I can
only read Afrikaans (can't speak it) and can read and speak
Dutch with numerous errors. I am currently writing my own
textbook to promote here in the schools, because most of them
are terrible. The textbook will be very concise without a lot
of "useless pictures" (one need only get on the internet to
see pictures of Germany, etc.) and has the students reading
simple texts in the language very quickly. I would really like
to do that with some of the other lowlands languages, but as
I have said, I need to learn the basics of those languages too.
If someone were to translate my "textbook" into those languages
I could learn them at the same time I teach my students.

Many might say that one could not introduce these languages
in the schools in the U.S., but I say, why not try. Who has
tried? I'd like to try! I have a lot more I could say on this,
but I might need a book to do it and I've already taken enough
of your time.

Okay (oh that word, okay, o.k.)Ron, take your best shot at me!

Kevin Browne

----------

From: George M Gibault <gmg at direct.ca>
Subject: Class accents

Bonjour, y'all!

Of course it is not just low status accents that get parodied. There used
to be quite a lot of people who spoke a sort of toffee nose Southern
Vancouver Island British accent - still heard "behind the tweed curtain" in
Oak Bay - but gradually dying out it appears. About twenty years ago I was
told that west coast naval officers had been ordered by their eastern
higher ups to stop "putting it on."  Our local MP still speaks a moderate
form of it - and his political detractors - such as myself - sometimes
refer to him as David Onderson (real  name Anderson) to make the point. The
dialect survey of British Columbia English which I worked on in university
found traces of it in upper class Vancouver neighbourhoods and in the posh
rural Okanagan Valley - so apparently it was once quite real and not "put
on" until later recognition of its value by social climbers. By the mid
20th century its speakers were pretty universally thought to be using it
against the rest of us. ant vs. awnt for aunt was a classic test.
Interestingly enough, a transitional form developed with a sort of mid
vowel ahnt (also used tomaeto not tomawto or tomayto) and this was not
heard as a snob accent by the rest of us.

I have heard that educated north Germans can be picked out by their
pronunciation of Hochdeutsch - my Brandenburg Prussian endocrinologist, for
instance , says guten tach, not guten tak for guten tag - and he is an
aristocrat by birth. Can anyone tell me the other features of this northern
"high" German? Or where I can read about it? Is it like "stage German"?
which I understand has a rolled rather than a gutteral "r"?

Curiously yours George