LL-L "Etymology" 2002.10.23 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Oct 23 16:39:00 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 23.OCT.2002 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Wim <wkv at home.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2002.10.23 (01) [E]

Hi!

About the word Opoe...  that's the normal word for grandmother in
Salland, Eastern Netherlands.
Bye!

Wim   wkv at home.nl
[Wim Verdoold]

----------

From: Mathieu. van Woerkom <Mathieu.vanWoerkom at student.kun.nl>
Subject: Etymology

Kirstina Bray wrote:

> I am new to the list and have found it very interesing so far.  I was
> wondering if anyone has come across the word "Opoe" in any of their
> language/ etymology research?  My grandmother, who is of Frisian decent
> (she was born in Jubbega, near It Hearrenfean) requested that my
> brother and I call her 'Opoe', while living in Australia,  instead of
> 'Nanna' which we had previously called her from Canada.  As we know,
> "Beppe" is Grandmother in Frisian, and "Oma" is Grandmother in
> Nederlander.  My family and I have been puzzling over the language/
> etymological source of "Opoe" for  some years now, and I would be
> greatful to anyone who may be able to shed light on the issue.

Hello Kirstina,

as far as I know, _opoe_ is Urban Frisian for _granny_ (Urban Frisian is a
dialect group which is strongly influenced by Dutch, it developed in the
major
towns of Friesland, e.g. Leeuwarden, Heerenveen, Dokkum, Sneek, Harlingen,
Franeker etc.) You can read about it at our new project site 'Lowlands Talk'
at
http://lowlands-l.net/talk

By the way, another Dutch word for _granny_ is _opoe_ as well... (grandpa &
grandma = opa & opoe / opa & oma)

Regards,
Mathieu