LL-L "Administrativa" 2002.10.23 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Oct 23 22:04:10 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 23.OCT.2002 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: R. F. Hahn <admin at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Administrativa

Dear Lowlanders,

My little experiment with East-European-specific and Cyrillic letters
(today's last "Etymology") "sort of" worked.  The message defaulted to
Unicode mode.  If your email system allows you to switch to Unicode encoding
(which it should), and if you have a Unicode compatible font loaded (which
you should), you should be able to read it.  If you do have a Unicode font
installed, go to our archive:
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/lowlands-l.html
and select the mentioned message:
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0210d&L=lowlands-l&D=1&F=&
S=&P=1113
You will then be able to see all "special" characters, because our hosts at
LINGUIST have switched all of their presentation to default to Unicode mode
(as befits any group dealing with languages).

If you do not yet have Unicode fonts, I suggest you install at least one,
preferable Arial, Times New Roman and Courier New.

Allen Wood's presentation is a good resource to start with:
http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/fonts.html

Using Unicode fonts would enable us to use letters that are outside our
current range, including the International Phonetic Alphabet.

I would like to propose that those who wish to do so go ahead and use
Unicode mode.  As a courtesy to others they should signal this at the
beginning of their messages (e.g., "This message is in Unicode" or just
"Unicode").

Suggestions welcome.