LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.10.24 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Oct 25 03:46:03 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 24.OCT.2002 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: robert bowman <bowman at montana.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.10.21 (01) [E]

On Monday 21 October 2002 12:08,  Cr?ost?ir wrote:
> "Eh" seems to be spreading heavily in Perth. I picked it up from there and
> now use it all the time, eh. Perth natives tend to see it as very New
> Zealand in origin, through a New South Wales medium, eh. :) I think it's a
> great tag.

Must be a Commonwealth thing. There is a joke around here (which is close to
Alberta) about the spelling of Canada:  C, eh? N, eh? D, eh? There is a
similar pattern is some US speakers where every sentence is ended on a
rising
pitch like a question, but there is no tag added. It can be difficult to
tell
if it is a declarative sentence or really a question.

bowman

----------

From: robert bowman <bowman at montana.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.10.21 (03) [E]

On Monday 21 October 2002 17:02, Reinhard wrote:
> One phrase I remember from the former is "Emma Chisitt?" for "How
> much is it?" ?They are kind of silly (in part because of deliberately
moved
> word boundaries), but they are intertaining enough to have been sold well.

It took me a while to make the connection between the two phrases.  I have
never seen the original, but I was always skeptical that 'Mad Max' had to be
dubbed for the US market -- until I saw 'Sexy Beast', I though it was just
me, but walking out of the theatre, more than one person mentioned subtitles
would have been nice. Not quite BBC English.

bowman