LL-L "Etymology" 2002.10.26 (05) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sat Oct 26 18:24:49 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 26.OCT.2002 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Etymology"

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Etymology
>
> Dear Lowlanders,
>
> Can any of you help me with the etymology of the Dutch word
> _makker_ and the
> Lowlands Saxon (Low German) word _Macker_ ['mak3`], both meaning 'friend',
> 'chum', 'buddy', 'mate'?  (_Macker_ is also used in Missingsch, a sort of
> shibboleth and to many people's minds a low-class flag.)  LS _Macker_ can
> also mean 'ringleader'.  And then there is Scots _mak(e)_ for 'close
> friend', 'mate'?  Any relation?  Perhaps a permutation of _mate_?
>  And then
> there is _makkar_ referring to the Scots poets of the 15th and 16th
> centuries, apparently derived from the verb _mak_ 'make', 'create'.

"Makar" simply means "maker". However, in Scots the verb
"mak" (or "make" in a few dialects) is used to refer to
the act of creating an artistic work, so can take on the
meaning of "to author", and therefore the noun "makar"
corresponds to "author" in English. Its use with a capital
as in "the Makars" signifies a group of poets who wrote
rather grand works in Middle Scots with a distinctive
diction aimed at educated patrons, but without capitals it
can mean any sort of author, so that, for example, in
Robert Louis Stevenson's poem "The Maker to Posterity",
he's referring to himself as the author of the poem, and
we see the application of the verb in James Lumbsden's
play "Toorle" where one of the characters in talking about
a poem, says, "Burns made it", with the meaning "Burns
wrote/authored it".

A more general word for the act of creation in Scots is
"shup" (also "shap" and "shape"). Hence in Cameron's
translation of Genesis we read, "I' the ingang God
shuppit the hevin and the erd" for "In the beginning
God created the heavens and the earth".

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/

----------

Lowlands-L heeft op zaterdag, 26 okt 2002 om 02:38 (Europe/Brussels)
het volgende geschreven:
> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Etymology
>
> Dear Lowlanders,
>
> Can any of you help me with the etymology of the Dutch word _makker_
> and the
> Lowlands Saxon (Low German) word _Macker_ ['mak3`], both meaning
> 'friend',
> 'chum', 'buddy', 'mate'?  (_Macker_ is also used in Missingsch, a sort
> of
> shibboleth and to many people's minds a low-class flag.)  LS _Macker_
> can
> also mean 'ringleader'.  And then there is Scots _mak(e)_ for 'close
> friend', 'mate'?  Any relation?  Perhaps a permutation of _mate_?  And
> then
> there is _makkar_ referring to the Scots poets of the 15th and 16th
> centuries, apparently derived from the verb _mak_ 'make', 'create'.
>
> The suffix _-er_ ought to derive an agent/actor from a verb, but
> *_mak-_?
> There is, however, the LS adjective _mack_ 'easy to handle',
> 'harmless',
> 'tame' (as of an animal), thus masculine _mack+er_.  There is also
> _mackelig_ ~ _macklig_ ~ _makelk_ 'easy', 'cosy', 'slowly and
> relaxed', cf.
> Dutch _(ge)makelijk_ 'easily', German _gemächlich_ 'slowly and
> relaxed'.

Dear Ron,
My Flemish explenation for it is :

"maken" has a lot of meanings. One of these is...
  V: We gaon da ne keê maok'n = doen passen (E: to make sure that it
fits, to match)
So "makker" could mean that these two people 'match' together or that
they are equal to each other.
"gemak'lik(V) "(D: gemakkelijk) = E: easily, without pain.
We have a verb:"makkeren(V)" which means, to be good friends with.
V: Ze makk'rn wel te goare = They are good friends.
Another verb : "makken(V)" (makk'n)= to match, or to be tame.
V: Ze makk'n lik hond'n en katt'n. E:They match together like dogs and
cats.

Groetjes,
Luc Vanbrabant
Oekene

----------

[...]

Any input would be appreciated.

Regards,
Reinhard/Ron"

Moin Ron,

To "makker/Macker hef ik niks nich funnen, bloots "Macke" un dat kümt
vun Jiddisch un Hebräisch. Ik denk avers nich wat dat midenanner wat to
doon het. Also daar kan ik di ook ni widerhölpen.
Schottisch "mak" gift dat as en veerb un as en nomen. As veerb het dat
natöörlich de like wörtel as Ingl. "make", vun daar kümt ook "makar" or
"makkar" (Collins English Dic. Scots variant of "maker"). Twaars süüt
"mak" so ut as keem dat vun "mak" (Schot. Maken), avers ik denk mi wat
dat Gälisch is un vun "mac"  = söön kümt. De plural vun "mac" allerdings
warrt jaa as en schimpwoord vöör de "Iren" or de Katoolschen slechthen
bruukt. Collins segt twaars wat dat vun "Michael" kümt doch glööv ik dat
ni so recht. Ik meen dat kümt vun Gälisch. Avers keen weet, villicht is
dat jaa ook mine keltophili, nich?

Alens gode,

Dan

----------

From: Wim <wkv at home.nl>

Hi!

About Makker.  My dictionairy says: makker (1565), typisch hollands
woord, waarschijnlijk met de verbreide er- uitgang (Vergelijk bakker en
herder)uit een ouder woord zoals oud engels gemaecca, maat, reisgenoot.
(nieuw engels match)  oud saksisch gimako, oud hoog duits, gimahho.
"maat"
>From  Etymologisch woordenboek. By J de Vries/ F de Tollenaere.  (het
Spectrum)(isbn 90 274 2947 2)

So makker is matcher...lol.   well it isn't. the meanings of words
changed in the last 1200 years. Hope this was any help..

Bye,

 Wim.  wkv at home.nl
[Wim Verdoold]