LL-L "Idiomatica" 2002.10.26 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sat Oct 26 21:56:38 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 26.OCT.2002 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Ed Alexander <edsells at cogeco.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2002.10.26 (07) [E]

At 02:06 PM 10/26/02 -0700, Ron wrote:

The few times I have heard people use the phrase "to talk up a blue streak"
(yes, Canadians, I believe) I interpreted it as denoting something like "to
talk up a storm," i.e., 'to talk a lot and in a very animated manner'.
Apparently I "over-interpreted" it.  Oops!  But I seem to remember that my
over-interpretation did fit within the contexts in which I heard the phrase
used.

I think "talk excitedly or quickly and at some length" would be a closer
translation.  "Me an my wife went over to the Big Smoke (Trana) and all the
way there she talked a blue streak abo-ut the antique shopping her and
Emilia did the day before."

Ed Alexander
JAG REALTY INC.
80 Jones Street Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8R 1Y1
Pager: 905-312-5204  Fax: 905-525-6671  www.jagrealty.com
ED'S FUNDRAISER PAGE: http://www.deerhurst.com/fundraiser