LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.10.27 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sun Oct 27 21:52:01 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 27.OCT.2002 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: burgdal32admin <burgdal32 at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.10.26 (03) [E]

> From: James Mader <jamesmader at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Eh
>
> My father-in-law, who is orginally from Zeeland, Netherlands, told me
> once
> that some Zeelanders, instead of ja, say Eh in the affirmative.  This
> would
> make sense on the end of a sentence.  Being that Afrikaans has such a
> strong
> link to Dutch (my wife calls it Boer dutch) maybe this is a link?
>
> James L. Mader, Seoul Korea
Hello,

I told you already about the westhoek-Flemish and how they alwaeys use
"enni" ("ehne" - meaning "eh neen" or "nietwaar")at the end of almost
every sentense.The "eh" you speak of is also used in Flemish (The most
near tongue  of Zeelandic)It sounds just like "mm or "ehe"(meaning
yes). And their is a big variety of other words to end a sentense. I
think that has already been mentioned quiet a  while ago (just have a
look in the archives).

Groetjes
Luc Vanbrabant
Oekene