LL-L "Labels" 2002.10.28 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Mon Oct 28 18:25:14 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 28.OCT.2002 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Jorge Potter <jorgepot at caribe.net>
Subject: LL-L "Labels" 2002.10.27 (03) [E]

> House of Hanover.
> Which leads to the obvious linguistic question - Jacobites supported King
> James against King George. James - Latin "Jacobus" from Hebrew Jakob
> yielding Jacobite - but how did Jakob become James in English (and Seumas
> in Gaelic) rather than say, "Jack?" or Jake or Jacob? Even French Jacques
> sounds closer to the original. Why "James" ? anyone?

Dear Lowlanders,

I can't answer your question, but assume it was the French against the
academics. What I can affirm is that in Spanish we have Jacobo, Jaime, Diego
and Santiago. Most Spanish speakers are oblivious of the common origin. Of
course Santiago is just short for San Diego.

Jorge Potter