LL-L "Administrativa" 2002.09.05 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Sep 5 16:59:56 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 05.SEP.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net

From: R. F. Hahn <admin at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Administrativa

Dear Lowlanders,

It appears that in many cases in which LL-L mailings got bounced back as
"rejected" (i.e., the LL-L server address had been blocked) it was not
the fault of the subscribers.  This seems to be the case with all those
whose subscribed accounts are at Hotmail.  I noticed that there was a
sudden wave of such bounced messages, beginning about three days ago.
In some cases I unsubscribed those people, and in other cases I let the
server do its automatic thing (i.e., unsubscribe people after a certain
number of unsuccessful attempts to deliver).  My suspicion was confirmed
when this morning I received a message from a long-standing member who I
thought had also blocked LL-L but who blamed Hotmail and then
resubscribed via a different account.

Earlier on, LL-L messages to Hotmail accounts did not arrive in the
inboxes if those accounts had bulk mail blocking switched on (because a
mail list server sends mass mailings).  This week, however, I seem to
have received reject messages from all subscribers who use Hotmail,
which leads me to suspect that Hotmail has introduced a new type of
filtering system, because earlier on this subscriber who contacted me
today had specifically exempted LL-L messages from being blocked.  This
means that quite a few subscribers have been and will be booted out who
intended to remain subscribed.  Sorry.  There is nothing I can do other
than suggest that people contact the Hotmail administration and try to
sort this out with them, or, if this fails, to change over to different
providers.  I assume that those who have been booted out but really
wanted to stay with us will make an effort to contact me, and I will be
able to present them with the problem and options.

However, once in a while, just like about ten minutes ago, I get reject
error messages pertaining to subscribers that do not use Hotmail, so
this remains an issue; i.e., people choose the lazy and rude method over
the prescribed sign-off method mwntioned in the header and footer of
each issue as well as in the rules.  I will immediately unsubscribe
those people and add them to a black list, i.e., will ignore them should
they ever request subscription again.

I had reported to you that soon after we posted our new webpages with an
easy-to-use application form I got a flood of subscription requests.
Most of these subscribers turned out to be "duds," i.e., they
unsubscribed from or blocked LL-L soon thereafter.  My impression is
that most of them were not "serious," were led by wishful thinking
(e.g., "Oh, goodie! Free Afrikaans lessons!"), did not get the basic
purpose of LL-L (language *group* rather than specific languages) and
did not read the description before subscribing.  I added these main
points to the homepage in a highlighted fashion.  More recently I added
to that that there are on average 0-12 LL-L messages per day,
occasionally more.  Immediately the flood of applications subsided.
(Bear in mind that most people log on to their email accounts about once
a week or even once a month and then would be appalled to find a huge
number of LL-L messages, especially if they weren't really serious about
LL-L.)

Yes, quality definitely does go over quantity!

In the meantime I welcome new subscribers from the following places:

Argentina:
   Buenos Aires:
      Buenos Aires [1]
Austria:
   Vienna:
      Vienna [1]
Netherlands:
   ? [1]
South Africa:
   Cape province:
      Cape Town [1]
   Natal:
      Durban [1]
Spain:
   Galiza:
      Santiago de Compostela [1]
   Madrid:
      Madrid [1]
   Malaga:
      Ronda [1]
United Kingdom:
   Scotland:
      Aberdeenshire:
         Aberdeen [1]
United States of America:
   Florida:
      Coral Springs [1]
      Sarasota [1]
   Kansas:
      Salina [1]
   Maryland:
      Baltimore [1]
      Chevy Chase [1]
   Missouri:
      Saint Joseph [1]
   North Carolina:
      Greenville [1]
   Pennsylvania:
      Carlisle [1]
   ? [1]

Our series of online introductory descriptions of the Lowlands language
varieties is still progressing, albeit slowed down due to the end of
"summer laze" in the Northern Hemisphere.  We would welcome help with
writing and especially translation work, in particular into French.

Thanks for your continued support!