LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.09.06 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Sep 6 23:05:25 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 06.SEP.2002 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net

From: "Friedrich-Wilhelm Neumann" <Friedrich-Wilhelm.Neumann at epost.de>
Subject: "Language History"

Dear Leeglanners, Lowlanders, and- specially-  Ron,

the LL-L discussions are filled with new and interesting information for
me until I had been starting to post here about 5 months ago.

Meanwhile I am (more or less) able to archive (and find it again, by
request)
all the  relevant issues- this was completely different when I began.
Lots
of very important things got lost.

I guess (just a slight remembrance) that there had been a discussion
about
it, and I am ashamed to ask again: there was an enduring co-existence of
Lowland- Languages (Saxon origin) and, for example, in
G.:"Alt/Mittelhochdeutsch" ("Frankonian"?)and, of course,  that, what is
commonly called "English" and "Dutch" nowadays.

I shall be grateful for everybody's opinion and posting as far as this
is
concerned, because I found some interesting things in old documents
(U.G.:
"Taufregister", E.: "parish register???"). Everyone of You, with
knowledge,
ability and enthusiasm in those matters is asked.

BTW: I found it to be a kind of, -eeh- "minimum knowledge" I HAVE to
have,
while discussing about LL-L with my (native) neighbours. I have to do
lots
of work for convincing them, that there is some "indefinite" internet-
organisation in America (!!) with somebody calling himself Ron, though
his
German name is Reinhard, to keep an eye on "our" Low Saxon *so*!

Best regards and wishes for a weekend of relax:

Fiete.

Regards

Fiete.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Fiete, Lowlanders,

Just in case you aren't already aware of this, let me tell you that all
issues of Lowlands-L are automatically archived here:
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/lowlands-l.html

You can search for relevant issues using key words.  By default, it
searches only the subject lines.  To search the actual text, you should
click the box next to "substring".

To read the text in the archive and get all the "special" characters
right, you need to switch your browser's encoding (= decoding) mode
(under "View" or equivalent) to "Western European" or equivalent,
because the site encodes everything automatically in Unicode mode, and,
like most people, we are (still) running things in Western European mode
(unfortunately).

> BTW: I found it to be a kind of, -eeh- "minimum knowledge" I HAVE to
> have, while discussing about LL-L with my (native) neighbours. I have
> to do lots of work for convincing them, that there is some
> "indefinite" internet-organisation in America (!!) with somebody
> calling himself Ron, though his German name is Reinhard, to keep an
> eye on "our" Low Saxon *so*!

Well, Fiete, I'm happy to know that some of the contents of our shared
pool of information is spilling over into the neighborhood.  This sort
of "ripple effect" is of course the cherry on top for any internet forum
like ours.  So, thank you for carrying the tidings on to the good folks
at the Elbe estuary, and please give them _fründliche Grötens uut d'n
Cyperspace_.

The fact that I happen to be physically in North America is really
incidental, since this gathering of people is "spaceless," is quite
international and not subject of any king or country, and this is
probably its main strength.  Another important aspect is that we do not
only deal with Low Saxon (Low German) or any other language in
isolation, as is the case elsewhere, but as one member of equal standing
within a family, and it is this family reunion that it's all really
about.

However, on a personal level, yes, not only does "absence make the heart
grow fonder," as the saying goes, but absence makes the big picture more
visible, as Mike Wintzer, Yogi Reppmann, Andrys Onsman, Tom McRae and no
doubt many other expatriate Lowlanders will no doubt agree.

Friendly regards,