LL-L "Language use" 2002.09.12 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Sep 12 20:35:20 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 12.SEP.2002 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Language use"

> From: "Frans Vermeulen" <vermeulen.vastgoed at pandora.be>
> Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2002.09.10 (08) [E]
>
> Beste Laaglanders,
>
> Het is een waar voorrecht en genoegen de Schotse taal van Meneer Sandy
> Fleming te mogen lezen en leren, want zij is bovendien zeer zeer
> leerzaam.
>
> Dat is het nu wat ik bedoel met mijn voorstel, dat iedereen best in zijn
> eigen officieel erkende voertaal schrijft, in plaats van in een hopeloos
> verwaterd en zielloos Engels; wie zich aansluit bij een taallijst als
> deze
> hier, moet toch genoegzaam openstaan voor een andere zustertaal en
> leergierig genoeg zijn om ze te leren begrijpen, en, niet steeds de show
> willen stelen met "hoe goed men wel reeds is in het gebruik van het
> Engels"!
>
> Doe zo verder Meneer Sandy, wij Vlamingen verstaan u wonderwel !!!

I find it hard to believe you'd recommend writing in a
language more familiar than English and yet still somehow
"officieel". Such languages surely have neither the
advantage of English in being a world lingua franca, nor
the soulfulness of dialects? It would only make sense to
write them if your audience consists of people who are
either comfortable with the language or want to learn it.

In fact I mostly write in English because most people
wouldn't understand me clearly otherwise. Choosing to
write Scots takes a certain amount of judgement as to
whether those who are interested can all follow the
language clearly (probably the case with tricky
questions on Scots grammar and spelling?). Even with
some subjects in Scots, such as literature and etymology,
I think English is the best choice on this list (not
necessarily in some other situations).

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/