LL-L "Language change" 2002.09.14 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sat Sep 14 18:24:54 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 14.SEP.2002 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Leslie Decker <leslie at VOLNY.CZ>
Subject: LL-L "Language change" 2002.09.13 (13) [E]

I am writing this to comment about the use of 'they' as a non-gender
specific singular pronoun.  I got too confused trying to cut and paste the
snippets of past postings!

I have to say that as a younger (26 year-old) American English speaker,
'they' sounds completely natural to me.  This is not anything political,
although I am female.  As far as I'm concerned it's just the natural
progression of a language--it changes.  Some people may resist it, which is
well within their rights, but it may be futile.  I once had a linguistics
teacher say that this is comparable to 'you' being used as singular and
people who complain about 'they' should go back to 'thou.'  He was being
extreme to make a point, but it made me think.

I have often come across this question as a TEFL teacher, and I've told my
students the same thing.  Written English is a bit different, and I've told
them to use either 'he' or 'he or she,' whichever they prefer.  Either way
they'll probably annoy one person or another! :-)

Regarding the word 'data,' to me it's an uncountable noun, like
'information' or 'milk.'  I don't use a plural with it.

And Ron, don't despair, to me, phenomenon is a perfectly acceptable word,
the plural being either 'phenomena' or 'phenomenons.'

Regards,

Leslie Decker