LL-L "Resources" 2002.09.18 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Sep 18 22:28:21 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 18.SEP.2002 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at pandora.be>
Subject: Resources

Beste leeglanners,

A very beautiful map that is on our website ! Definitely a professional job
Mathieu.

Just a few remarks :

1) Braunschweig and Dortmund used to be very famous Hanseatic cities as
well.
2) York, London, Bruges and Antwerp were not exactly Hanseatic cities but
they sure played a very important economic role during the Middle Ages...and
the Hanse had an office there as well.

The Hanse makes me think of "linen", one of their main staple goods...we
pronounce this cloth as :

"laëvààd" (B) ~ lijnwaad (D) ~ Leinwand (G)

Therefore, I was just wondering if the "v" instead of a "w" (or omitting the
"w" like in Greenwich for example) could be due to eastern influence from
tradesmen. Any other regions where this is the case ?

Greetings,

Luc Hellinckx

PS : I think it should be "separate" instead of "seperate" on our map...
PPS : Came across a long and interesting (German) article dealing with
feudal expansion and migration in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern :

http://home.t-online.de/home/bbruegger/magister.htm

Please submit postings to <lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org>. * Postings
will be displayed unedited in digest form. * Please display only the
relevant parts of quotes in your replies. * Commands for automated functions
(including "signoff lowlands-l") are   to be sent to
<listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org> or at
<http://linguistlist.org/subscribing/sub-lowlands-l.html>. * Please use only
Plain Text format, not Rich Text (HTML) or any other   type of format, in
your submissions