LL-L "Ethnonyms" 2002.09.18 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Sep 19 02:52:16 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 18.SEP.2002 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: travelershome <travelershome at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language change" 2002.09.18 (09) [E]

i live surrounded by american indians.  they dislike
intensly being called native americans.

further more  what has this to do with the discussion
of our languages.  please try to stay on subject.

[Pamela Pallessen-Scherehart]

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Ethnonyms

Dear Lowlanders,

I am retracting my remark (under "Language change") that some English
speakers who distinguish "Filipino" from "Filipina" may be considered
"show-offs" by some.

I have discussed this matter with a few American English speakers, and the
conclusion was that "in educated circles" the distinction is considered
"normal, but not mandatory," as is the distinction between "Chicano" and
"Chicana"* (at least in the far-western states) for Mexicans indigenous to
the United States.

(* It is interesting, though, that "Chicana" shows up as an error in my
American English spell-checker, while "Filipina" does not.)

These Spanish-derived distinctions have entered "educated American,"
apparently as separate loanwords, because (1) these ethnic groups are
strongly represented, and (2) numerous Americans know at least basic Spanish
as a foreign language (and are aware of _-o_ and _-a_ marking masculine and
feminine respectively).

Pamela Pallessen-Scherehart wrote (above):

> further more  what has this to do with the discussion
> of our languages.  please try to stay on subject.

Names (including ethnonyms) are parts of language, and the study of
name-giving (onomastics) is a branch of linguistics. Also relevant in this
regard are socio-linguistic aspects, such as permissibility of usage and
interethnic relations and perceptions.