LL-L "Categories" 2002.09.26 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Sep 26 19:01:38 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 26.SEP.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Neal W. Welsh <zooman at inreach.com>
Subject: LL-L "Categories" 2002.09.26 (01) [E]

Gary may rest his case which simply stated is that our language reached a
state of perfection by the time of Shakespeare, who by the way had something
on the order of a dozen ways to spell his very own name.  This attitude
would have us all living in a perpetual state of suspended animation from
the time of Shakespeare on.  Not even the great bard wrote perfect English
every time he put pen to paper; few people do if they write often.  The fact
of the matter is that in more modern times one is expected to have number
and case agreement with respect to noun - adjective pairings if one is
considered a polished speaker of the language.  I shall belabor the issue no
more since Gary has put himself in a vulnerable position of not being able
to respond further having, as he himself put it, rested his case.  So they
and their are third person plural among the non-political literati. Notice
that I refrained from putting quotation marks around the words in question
since nobody is being quoted.
    Neal (prof., ret.)