LL-L "Lexicon" 2002.09.27 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Sep 27 15:22:13 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 27.SEP.2002 (0\75) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Gary Taylor <gary_taylor_98 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lexicon

Dear Ron

Regarding the mum/dad question. If I'm speaking about
just one parent, I tend to use, 'my mum' or 'my dad',
however talking about them together I vary between 'my
mum and dad' and 'my parents', but I think the latter
could be due to having lived in Germany too long,
where I would generally use 'meine Eltern'. I would be
surprised though if I heard 'mum' or 'dad' in a
serious news item in Britain, although it may be heard
in less formal circumstances on television or radio.

If your interested, Romanian has 'mamä' and 'tatä'
(written here with the wrong final accent, because I
don't have the appropriate one on my keyboard) as
standard words for mother and father, which has led to
the rare state of a masculine word (tatä) ending in
-ä.

Gary

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Hi, Gary, and thanks for another great example.

Actually, as a footnote for those who are interested, the Romanian letter
you substituted with "ä" is an "a" with a _breve_ on top: "a", which stands
for a schwa-like sound. (I am not sure if it shows in most people's email
displays.)  Thus, it is _mama_ 'mother' and _tata_ 'father', pronounced
somewhat like Yiddish _mame_ and _tate_, which I assume are derived from
them.  However, note that the original words are preserved (or are they
imported?) in derivations: _matern_ 'maternal', 'motherly', _maternitate_
'maternity', 'motherhood', _patern_ 'paternal', 'fatherly', _paternitate_
'paternity', 'fatherhood'.