LL-L "Lexicon" 2002.09.29 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sun Sep 29 20:47:25 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 29.SEP.2002 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Antero Helasvuo <antero.helasvuo at welho.com>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2002.09.29 (01) [E]

> > I remember vaguely reading somewhere long ago that it is
> > believed that the salient differences between the
> > Scandinavian (North Germanic) and the other Germanic
> > languages are due to a Scandinavia-specific pre-I.-E. substrate,
> > but no details whatsoever.
>
>I happen to have in my hands an article (The Baltic Sea Prosodic Area
>Revisited) of Finnish linguist Kalevi Wiik.
>
>Mari Sarv
>.  I read somewhere (quite some time ago) that
>there are some anthropological and biological indications that point in
that
>direction also.  Does anyone know anything about that?
>
>Thanks, and regards,
>Reinhard/Ron

There is a lot of material about and of professor Kalevi Wiik to be found
in the internet. Here is one article in English which sheds light to his
theories.

>http://www.lib.helsinki.fi/bff/399/wiik.html

Antero Helasvuo
Pitäjänmäentie 35 D 32
00370 HELSINKI
Finland

Tel (fax on demand) + 358 9 555396
antero.helasvuo at welho.com

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: History

Thanks, Antero!

I had a look at the article.  It sure flies in the face of the traditional
assumption that, with the exception of the Saame group (considered
peripheral), Uralic languages are johnnies-come-lately west of the Ural
Mountains (later to be overlaid by Slavic in what is now Northwestern
Russia).

I find this to be a fascinating breath of fresh air (and astounding that
Wiik includes Northern Germany in the original "Finno-Ugric" area), although
I cannot yet tell how much water the theory holds, since this English
language article is a popular-media-adapted version and does not provide all
that much scientific detail.

Cheers!