LL-L "Administrativa" 2002.09.29 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sun Sep 29 23:36:18 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 29.SEP.2002 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: R. F. Hahn <admin at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Administrativa

Dear Lowlanders,

Due to software changes and some other, hitherto unexplained reasons,
coinciding on my part with distractions at a particularly busy time, there
have been a few hiccups regarding subscriptions and processing of
Lowlands-L, for which I apologize.

Problems with Hotmail accounts continue, though not universally so, which
seems to indicate that some, actually *most*, Hotmail users have not been
adjusting the new bulk mail filter to accommodate our mailings, despite my
requests to the List and on our homepage.

For some still mysterious reason, a small number of subscribers got "kicked
off" without them requesting to be unsubscribed and without me doing
anything to make this happen, at least not to my knowledge.  I assume it has
something to do with a temporary glitch in the periodic automated list
maintenance check.  In some cases it may be due to recipient servers being
down or faulty.  A number of subscribers have allowed their mailboxes to
fill up, and this results in "over quota" messages (for each person and each
mailing) at my end, which I let go for a week or so until I unsubscribe
those people.

In any event, please do not assume that, out of the blue, I have done to you
what some people have called "kicking out."  I would not do such a thing
unless there have been longs strings of error messages, rejection messages
(i.e., subscribers blocking us instead of signing off as requested), or
unheeded warnings.

If Lowlands-L mailings stop arriving for several days (i.e., more than a
week perhaps), please check with me (admin at lowlands-l.net) or simply send me
a (re-)admission application.

Since my last administrative message we have been joined by a number of
people from the following places:

   Australia:
      New South Wales:
         Wollongong [1]
   Botswana:
      Gaborone:
         Gaborone [1]
   Canada:
      British Columbia:
         Victoria [1]
   Iran:
      Tehran [1]
   Netherlands:
      Noord-Brabant:
         Tilburg [1]
      Overijssel:
         Oldenzaal [1]
   Sri Lanka:
      Western Province:
         Colombo [1]
   United States of America:
      California:
         Bakersfield [1]
      Illinois:
         Lyons [1]
      Mississippi:
         Greenville [1]
      Montana:
         Missoula [1]
      New York:
         Albany [1]
      Pennsylvania:
         State College [1]
      Texas:
         San Antonio [1]
      ? [1]

A warm welcome to all of them!  I am pleased that we have been joined by
several persons from Iran and Sri Lanka lately and I wish to extend a
special welcome to them, and a hearty hello also to our new member from
Botswana.

Greetings and goodwill to you all!

Reinhard "Ron" Hahn
Lowlands-L