LL-L "History" 2002.09.29 (07) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Mon Sep 30 03:42:05 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 29.SEP.2002 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Friedrich-Wilhelm Neumann <Friedrich-Wilhelm.Neumann at epost.de>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2002. 09. 27 (05) [E/German)

Moin, Leeglanners, Lowlanders,

(English trials below)

Ruud Harmsen <rh at rudhar.com>

schreev:

>welt.de, Freitag, 27. September 2002

>...Von Wolfgang Schmidt
>Kiel - Ein Laptop heisst Klappreekner, ... eine
>Pumpspruehflasche Pumpsproehbuddel und mit Landschopsbeschirmen ist
>Landschaftsschutz gemeint - das Ersetzen moderner Begriffe ins
>Plattdeutsche ist ein schwierig Ding, ziemlich vigeliensch also....

Ick heff door twei Nachten oever sloopen. De Ideei, Leeven in 't
Plattduetsche tau bringen, gefallt mi best.
Mann- in 't Hauchduetsche hefft wi keen Woord foer "laptop", un dat  hett
woll sien gauden Grund. Ick mutt door juemmers an dennen (UG) "Maehdrescher"
(E) "combine [harvester]", (UG) "Lastkraftwagen [LKW; von 't Militaer, hett
overs sien Plaats funnen]". (E) "truck" or, neuiduetsch
(UG?????Journaille/Werbung) "geairbrushed" [Horror!],  (E) "!!!!" denken...
Ick kann 't mi amend ne voerstellen, watt min Soehn sau 'n Woer taukoomstig
bruuken deiht! 'n Oort "Esperanto" opp Platt?
Ick 'loev, door ward nix von!

Dat neeuge Boauk kenn ick ne nauch, uem 'n Oordeel aff tau geeven, is overs
'n best Teiken, watt door noch Lue suenn, de sick uem uns Sprook, un ehr
Oeverleeven, Gedanken mooken dauht! Heel best!

-------

English trial:

I did sleep two nights about it. I like this idea to bring life into
Low-Saxon very much.
But- there isn't any word in UG for "laptop", and that may have good
reasons. I always have to think about (UG) "Maehdrescher", (E) "combine
[harvester], (UG) "Lastkraftwagen [LKW; military abbreviation, but it found
its place!], (E) "truck", or, New wave (of UG????): "geairbrushed" [a real
horror!].
I can't imagine my son using words like those in future! A kind of Low Saxon
"Esperanto"? I don't think it to succeed!

I don't know this new dictionary enough to do any judgement, but in spite of
my critics I think it to be a very good example showing, that there are
still people making thoughts (and efforts) round our language and its
survival. Very best!

Greutens/Regards

Fiete.

(Friedrich W. Neumann)