LL-L "Administrativia" 2003.04.01 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Apr 2 00:02:22 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 01.APR.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: R. F. Hahn <admin at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Administrativia

Dear Lowlanders,

Happy April! I hope you didn't get your legs pulled too much and only played
*nice* April Fool's pranks on other people.

Also greetings and best wishes to those of our Chinese members who on April
5 this year will celebrate Qing Ming (清明 "clear and bright") Festival (also
known as "Grave-Sweeping" or "Spring Remembrance").

It has been more than a week since my last administrative message
(21.MAR.2003 (02)). In the meantime we have been joined by a good number of
people, and I would like to take this opportunity to welcome them. At the
end of this message you will find a list of their places of residence. I am
pleased to see a sudden burst of subscriptions from Pakistan since early
this year. Friendly regards to our friends in Pakistan! Also, the number of
our subscribers in Hungary keeps increasing! A cheery "szervusz" to Hungary!
Last but by know means least, please allow me to mention that I am very
pleased to see more people from Africa joining us, not only from Southern
Africa but from Western and Eastern Africa as well. Hearty greetings to all
of you in Africa!

I must remind everyone that they must be familiar with our rules and
guidelines. They can be found under "Rules and guidelines" at our website:
http://www.lowlands-l.net/

I cannot help but be impressed by the constraint this international and in
many respects highly diverse group of people has been exercising with regard
to the currently especially tense world situation. I had requested that we
concentrate on our Lowlands business while respecting the supposed diversity
of feelings and opinions of our member, namely by not getting involved in
discussions about political events that do not directly pertain to our
sphere of interest. I am very pleased about and grateful for your
cooperation. Quite a few of us happen to live in countries that are directly
or indirectly involved in the current conflict(s). My fond greetings to all
of them, no matter which supposed side their respective governments may be
on! No doubt none of us is totally immune to the psychological effects of
the various reports of human tragedies, and I am sure all of us hope that
these tragedies will end soon. Sure, we deal "only" with language and
culture (and all that is connected with these). The "cool" thing, though, is
that we do so on a little island of peace. Perhaps more people ought to
discuss language and culture internationally.

Progress of our project "Lowlands Talk" (http://www.lowlands-l.net/talk/)
has slowed. We certainly could do with some more volunteer writers and
translators.

Lowlanders, please remember that it is up to all of us to determine which
topics are discussed. If there is anything (relevant) you would like to
share, ask or see discussed, please consider initiating it rather than
waiting for someone else to do so.

Thanks for your cooperation, and best wishes to you and yours!
Reinhard/Ron

***

Places of Residence of New Subscribers (since March 21, 2003):

Australia:
   New South Wales:
      Linden [1]
      Sydney [1]