LL-L "Idiomatica" 2003.04.06 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sun Apr 6 23:18:14 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 06.APR.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2003.04.06 (02) [E]

> From: R. F. Hahn <admin at lowlands-l.net>
> Subject: Idiomatica
> Dat weet ik nich. ~ Ik weet dat nich.
> Daar schal ik üm leygen. (Daar schall ik üm legen.)

In my West-Limburgish:

"Ich weet van toete noch bloeëze".
I don't know anything about it.

"Hië hèt het in Kö-ele hu-ere dondere"
He was totaly unaware of it; he was susprised completely by the news.
(Cologne is after all 80 miles to the East of the place were I lived)

Regards,
Roger

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <admin at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Idiomatica

Thanks, Roger!

Literal translations for the benefit of others:

> "Hië hèt het in Kö-ele hu-ere dondere"
"He has heard it thunder in Cologne."

Interesting to see Limburgish _Kö-ele_ for what in Cologne [Ripuarian?]
dialect is [Latin _colere_ 'to cultivate' > _colonus_ 'farmer' > _Colonia_
'(farming) colony (associated with the occupation forces)' > Germanic
*_Kol(l)en_ > *_Köllen_ >] _Kölle_, Standard German _Köln_.

> "Ich weet van toete noch bloeëze".
"I know about neither tooting nor blowing."

The second one also exists in both Lowlands Saxon (Low German) and German.
However, I have a feeling it can have a slightly different meaning (with
which others might disagree), which is why you would probably hear it used
less frequently with first person pronouns.  In my inventory it denotes
something like 'to know nothing about anything', 'to be clueless', often
more in the negative sense of being totally uninformed or even uneducated,
often in connection with a skill or area of knowledge (in the latter
contexts of which you *will* hear it used with first person pronouns).

LS: Hey weett nich/niks vun tuten un blasen.
(He wäätt nich/nix vun Tuten un Blasen.)
G: Er weiß nicht(s) von Tuten und Blasen.
("He knows not(hing) of/about tooting and blowing.")
He has no idea/clue. He is knows squat.