LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.04.07 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Tue Apr 8 02:36:46 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 07.APR.2003 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Ed Alexander <edsells at cogeco.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.04.07 (03) [E/German]

At 01:17 PM 04/07/03 -0700, Clark Hapeman wrote:
>Does anyone know about the Plautdietsch language in America?
>
>I know that it is spoken in Canada by the Hutterites, but I was wondering
if
>anyone knows about it in America.

Not actually true.  The Hutterites speak German, but as their origin was in
southern Germany and Austria, it's unlikely to be anything like
Plautdietsch, which is spoken pretty much exclusively by Mennonites who are
descended from Mennonites who had lived in the Danzig area, until large
numbers migrated to southern Russia during the reign of Catharine the
Great.  There is a significant number of Plautdietsch speakers in Canada,
primarily in southern Ontario along Lake Erie and the Niagara Peninsula, as
well in Manitoba and British Columbia.  The Mennonites and Hutterites do
share a common history in that they were both part of the Anabaptist
movement that arose in the early years of the Reformation.  The Anabaptists
formed what is often referred to as the "left wing" of the Reformation, as
opposed to the "right wing" represented by Calvin and Zwingli.  Mennonites
left (were driven) from this area and settled in the more tolerant areas of
the Rhineland and the Lowlands (the name is derived from an early leader,
the Frisian Menno Simons).

Ed Alexander, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada