LL-L "Etymology" 2003.04.09 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Apr 9 17:32:20 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 09.APR.2003 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: luc.hellinckx at pandora.be <luc.hellinckx at pandora.be>
Subject: Etymology

Beste liëglanners,

Today I heard a Chinese girl talk about her _maozi_, which means : her hat,
cap.
I seem to remember that the etymology of the Dutch word _muts_ and German
_mütze_ is still very fuzzy (please correct me if I'm wrong), so maybe we
have a clue here! I know this explanation must sound very exotic to you,
maybe the geographical distribution of this word can shed some light on this
issue.
Anyway, her pronunciation was very convincing (bear in mind that pinyin _z_
has to be pronounced _ts_).
Greetings,

Luc Hellinckx