LL-L "Morphology" 2003.04.20 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sun Apr 20 23:43:41 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 20.APR.2003 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Morphology

I wrote:

> It could well be.  For one thing, the denominal adjectival morpheme _-ese_
> is of Romance origin (< Old French _-eis_ < Latin _-ensis_).  It is
> non-native and has remained so.  In other words, it is restricted as a
> derivative morpheme (no free derivation) and is treated grammatically
> different in that it is is not seen as a part of a stem; i.e., in cases of
> nominalization it may not take on another suffix, such as plural _-(e)s_
or
> even another Latinate derivative morpheme, such as _-esque_.
> (*_japanesesque_ 'Japanese-like', however theoretically *_japanesesque_,
but
> probably more likely fully Latinate _japonesque_).

Not to be confused with cases like "Indonesia(n)", "Micronesia(n)",  and
"Polynesia(n)" (where the _-nes-_, derived from Greek _nēsos_ νησως, cf.
Mod. Greek _nisí_ νησί, 'island', is a part of the root), nor in other such
cases of _-es-_ within roots; e.g., "Silesia(n)".  (The roots cannot stand
by themselves: *"Indonese", *"Micronese", *"Polynese", *"Silese", as opposed
to "Japanese", "Chinese", "Javanese", or "Balinese" (with a sneaky _-n-_!)

Also, please note that in German and Lowlands Saxon (Low German) you *can*
add suffixes to roots like (_China_> ) _chines-_ > German _Chinese_ 'Chinese
(male person)', _Chinesin_ 'Chinese (female person)', _Chinesen_ 'Chinese
(persons)', _chinesisch_ 'Chinese' (adj./adv.), LS _Chinees'_,
_Chineessch(e)_, _Chinesen_, _chineessch_ respectively.  It works pretty
much this way in Dutch and Afrikaans as well, as far as I know.

Cheers!