LL-L "Phonology" 2003.04.22 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Tue Apr 22 20:20:59 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 22.APR.2003 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode
UTF-8
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: burgdal32admin <burgdal32 at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2003.04.17 (04) [E]

> From: Frédéric Baert <baert_frederic at CARAMAIL.COM>
> Subject: prononciation
>
> Good day
>
> I hope you had not ever discussed about this point. In this case, I
> didn't
> find it.
> I will be curious to know the origin of the prononciation of the _w_.
> In
> French Flanders it is prononced like in English (typically the word
> _waeter_). I think that in Frisian languages and in Northern Dutch
> dialects
> it is prononced like in Standard German and in standard French. I don't
> know the prononciation in low Saxon. Is the Flemish and English
> prononciation of this letter inherited of ingwaeonic?
> It has to be noted that French speakers in Nord-Pas de Calais (the area
> just southern of the flemish speaking area)prononced the _w_ like
> Fleming
> people. With prononciation of _r_, it's one of the characteristic way
> of
> identification of people originated from Northern France by all French
> people. It seems to demonstrate that flemish language had a strong
> influence on the prononciation of the nearest French dialect "Picard".
>
> Amically
> Frederic Baert
>
> ----------
>
> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Phonology
>
> Salut, Frédéric!
>
> In Lowlands Saxon (Low German), what is written <w> is generally
> pronounced
> [v].  However, I cannot speak for all dialects.  Those in the far west
> may
> well have the same labiodental glide pronunciation that is predominant
> in
> Dutch.
> Cheers!
> Reinhard/Ron

Hi Ron, and Frédéric Baert (indeed, two Flemish names),

In the Flanders region the <w> is alwaeys pronounced as a <w>, never as
a <v>!I think i have mentionned this before. Flemish has probably had a
bigger influence in the  developing proces of the French language than
is know recognised. It was only much later that the opposite took
place, when the French language begun to be  the "lingua  franca" in
Western Europe. I know of several examples where scientists minimalise
the importance of the earllyFflemish (franconian) language. Look at
the etymological dict. and you 'll find a lot (+400 words) of original
Flemish/Franconian  loans. Germanical burial-grounds were found up to
the Loire region.

Groetjes
Luc Vanbrabant
Oekene