LL-L "Administrativia" 2003.04.24 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 24 15:20:55 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 24.APR.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: "Pat Reynolds" <pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Administrativia" 2003.04.22 (07) [E

Dear Ron, and all,

I had, rather naively, thought that LL-L was hosted on some US academic
computer (as most of the history and archaeology lists to which I
subscribe are hosted).

I think that as a research student at a British university*, I can ask
if the JISC system could be used to host LL-L.  (Please don't ask me
what JISC stands for - Joint Information something something - it's the
body which runs academic lists here)

Best wishes,

Pat
* As of yesterday, I'm a doctoral candidate.  Many apologies to all
those to whom I owe thanks and responses, defending the research
proposal has taken all six brain cells for the past couple of weeks
--
Pat Reynolds
pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk
   "It might look a bit messy now, but just you come back in 500 years
time"
   (T. Pratchett)

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Administrativia

Hello, Patricia Reynolds, Ph.C., and congratulations!
Hello, Lowlanders!

> I had, rather naively, thought that LL-L was hosted on some US academic
> computer

Part of this is due to my panic button response on the day the bad news
broke.  I must have confused a few of you.  Sorry.

Lowlands-L as a mailing list *is* hosted by academic institutions and
funding allocated to this type of information exchange.  Our hosts are
the LINGUIST people.  The LINGUIST List (http://linguistlist.org/),
which, I am proud to say, began in my "home" state of Western Australia,
is one of the largest and most established mailing lists, definitely a
major, major resource for anyone dealing with language seriously in any
capacity, a resource I strongly encourage all of you to support if you
are keen on it, Lowlands-L and similar lists to thrive.  LINGUIST is now
being hosted by two U.S. universities: Texas A & M University and
Eastern Michigan University.  The LINGUIST people kindly invited
Lowlands-L to move to their list server.  I took up the offer happily,
in part because their service was (and is) superior, I wasn't sure about
LL-L's future at my own institution and desired more independence, and I
thought that LL-L was best off in the LINGUIST-centered family of
language-related list servers, not least because this way we make our
archived data available to the international linguistics research
community and to professional and amateur researchers of language,
culture and other fields as well.  Our hosts have been absolutely
marvellously supportive, especially Anthony Aristar and Michael Appleby.

Pat, if I understand you correctly, the JISC system you mentioned would
be an alternative to what LINGUIST provides.

The latest setback is about the web hosting and email service I have
been using and privately funding.  This is where our fast evolving web
information series is housed and from where Mathieu van Woerkom and I
conduct LL-L-related email business, including our CGI scripts that
handle applications and the like.  This company, Feature Price, which
had offered decent, affordable service, is going under (apparently due
to some weird developments outside their sphere of influence), and we
will need to find a replacement.  I have something in the pipeline as we
speak, plus a couple of other offers.  Of course, I would gladly accept
gratis web hosting and emailing if there is such a thing, if it is
reliable, advertising-free and would not compromise the independence of
LL-L.

In the great scheme of things, this is probably just a minor setback,
albeit a bit of an irritation right now.  As long as there is a demand
and support for it, Lowlands-L, eight years old pretty much to the week,
will carry on one way or another.  Who knows?  It may even survive me
(not that I'm *that* old), given that there is now a bunch of
enthusiastic, capable young whippersnappers on its team, and given the
enthusiasm of and support from so many subscribers like you, which has
hosting Lowlands-L an absolute joy.

Thanks again for your concern and for your supportiveness, Pat, and all
the best with your dissertation.  Please let us know if we can be of any
help.

Kind regards,