LL-L "Administrativia" 2003.04.28 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 28 20:41:45 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 28.APR.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Administrativia

Dear Lowlanders,

Last week I reported that the web and email service I had been using is
coming to an end.  I further explained that this problem does not affect
the list server (the server that sends Lowlands-L mailings to you and
also archives all mailings to be accessible online), since it is
provided by the LINGUIST list and organization.

In the meantime I can report that our LINGUIST hosts are very generously
and kindly providing us with email and web accounts, free of charge.
This is good news indeed, and reason to feel grateful, especially to
Anthony Aristar who arranged this and to Michael Appleby who will help
us get settled in our new home.

I expect we will move over to the LINGUIST site sometime this week, and,
with Michael's assistance, I will have to deal with it at this end in
the temporary absence of my technical right hand Mathieu van Woerkom.
There is a slight chance of a technical hiccup or two, and I count on
your forbearance should this occur.  I will inform you in case of any
changes you need to know about.  I will do my best to keep any
inconvenience to you at a minimum.

There are still a couple of loose ends I will need to deal with, such as
our web domain name, which I am trying to acquire beyond the current
lease, and how to retain it despite the move.  (I must admit that this
is new territory for me ...)

Please note that nobody has asked me to say the following.

My experiences with the folks at LINGUIST have been absolutely
marvelous.  They have been nothing but generous and helpful, and they
have also been patient whenever my lack of technical know-how was
apparent (which I'm afraid happened more than once).  Indirectly, or
perhaps not that indirectly, we are helping the LINGUIST family by
making our discussion information available to the world by way of their
archiving facility.  So, in our own relatively minor way we contribute
toward a larger-scale effort to promote and further the study of
language (and all that comes with it), not only by adding our
Lowlands-related information into a common, globally accessible pool,
but also by helping to attract the attention of non-linguists,
non-academics, to help them gain better understanding, and to reduce
ignorance, fear and prejudice vis-à-vis linguistics.  I would like you
to individually consider supporting the LINGUIST efforts even further,
of which there are several ways, as you will find out if you visit the
LINGUIST site (http://linguistlist.org/).  Besides that, I am sure that
all of you will find visiting that site most helpful.  Among other
things it has a forum in which non-linguists can ask linguists all those
basic questions they never dared to ask before, something we frequently
feel a need of on Lowlands-L.

Unless I tell you otherwise, please keep submitting your postings as
before to <lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org>.  To be on the safe
side, you might want to keep copies of your submissions.

Hoping for a smooth transition, and thanking you for your cooperation
and patience,