LL-L "Etymology" 2003.08.16 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Aug 16 22:49:17 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 16.AUG.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at pandora.be>
Subject: Etymology

Beste liëglanners,

And Tom in particular...As far as I know, the Dutch word "plaat" can only be
used in
the sense of a sandbank, if you're talking about land and property. As the
Catskills
are relatively low mountains, I can imagine that somebody might have
compared the
shape of those round "molehills" to huge sandbanks. Dutch people are much
more
familiar with sandbanks than with mountains by the way (Lowlands, you know
*s*). Of
course, this theory does not hold ground if the Catskill Mountains have
sharp summits
(which I don't know unfortunately).

The Dutch word "plaat" is quite unrelated to the English word "plot", I
think. "Plaat"
(D) has cognates in English "plate" and "flat", wheras the origin of "plot"
(meaning a
small piece of ground) is hitherto unknown. "Plot" (meaning ground plan)
could be a
variant of "plot" (small piece of ground), but "plot" (as a secret plan) is
probably
derived of old French "complot".

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Luc,

But, if I understood Tom Byro correctly, he wondered if _plaat_ for "plot"
could be an *American* thing, namely early American Dutch speakers'
phonologically and orthographically adapted English loan "plot."  Although I
would not put all my money on it, I think it is a possibility worth
considering.  It could also be Dutch speakers' misunderstanding of the
English word "plot," hearing it as and mentally connecting it with their
more familiar _plaat_ (which would be similar to your theory).

_Plaat_ means 'sanbank' in Lowlands Saxon (Low German) as well, but it can
also mean 'platter' or 'baking sheet'.

Groetjes,