LL-L "Language policy" 2003.08.25 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Aug 25 13:30:03 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.August.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: mike keach <mike at keach.net>
Subject: Language policy

Grüezi

I've been happily following the discussion about language preservation
in Saxony and elsewhere, especially the articles that Ron posted from
the Hamburg (?) press in that, the schools are considering
teaching/allowing plattedeutch in the schools as a viable dialect of
German. (Nice of them . . .)

Well, interestingly, this just in from Switzerland lifted from a paper I
read daily, 'Neue Zürcher Zeitung' out of, predictably enough, Zürich.
While I know that the group is primarily interested in Lowlands, I
thought this was timely in view of the past discussions and that some of
you might be interested. Here 'tis:
______________________________
August 24, 2003, 19:15

Teachers told to ditch dialect for High German

Teachers across German-speaking Switzerland are being urged to use High
German rather than dialect in the classroom. The move, which coincides
with the start of the academic year, is aimed at improving literacy
levels among Swiss teenagers.

An international study conducted by the Organisation for Economic
Cooperation and Development (OECD) in 2001 found that up to 20 per cent
of Swiss 15-year-olds could not understand even the most basic written
information. The findings of the Programme for International Student
Assessment (Pisa) shocked the educational establishment and put pressure
on cantonal educational directors to come up with solutions.

Pupils in German-speaking Switzerland typically use dialect in everyday
conversation and to write SMS messages or emails. Whereas High German is
the language of writing and reading, and is recommended for use in
schools. But since the 1980s, dialect has gained ground, creeping into
advertisements, television and even classrooms - a trend the authorities
are keen to reverse.

Increasing use of dialect

A study conducted at the end of last year in canton Zurich's primary and
secondary schools revealed that 30-50 per cent of all teaching was
conducted in dialect.
Zurich's teachers were issued with instructions before the summer
holidays encouraging them to use High German in their schools from as
early an age as possible.

"It's more of a problem with the teachers than the pupils," Peter
Sieber, co-author of the brochure issued to teachers, told swissinfo.
"In our training programmes, we are putting more emphasis on High German
so that teachers can express themselves better." In general, High German
is abandoned in sport, music, art and handicraft classes, as well as
group activities and personal discussions.

Academic performance

Authors of the brochure said this practice created problems. They said
that for many pupils, High German was seen as an intellectual language
associated with academic performance. It was hardly surprising therefore
that pupils were not keen on it and not particularly motivated to speak,
write and read High German.

The pamphlet was put together for the canton's education department by
Zurich's teacher training college.

However, many cantonal authorities have issued directives on this
subject in the past but they have been largely ignored. "It's a long
process because the teachers have to change their own attitudes to
German," added Leon Müller, a school inspector from canton Uri. Cantonal
education officers hope that continued teacher training and regular
school testing will combat the problem.

-Swissinfo with agencies

So, clear skies on the "Our-Language-Isn't-Good-Enough" scene. My guess
is that Züridüütsch & Oberlandisch will 'win the day' in spite of 'The
Professionals"! P'raps Ron should send on that report from Hamburg to
'Neue Zürcher Zeitung' . HA!

Bestes zu alles,
-Mike in Tampa (Wo es ruhiger Sommer und heiss ist!)