LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.08.27 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Aug 28 00:07:05 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 27.AUG.2003 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: marco [evenhuiscommunicatie] <marco at evenhuiscommunicatie.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.08.27 (02) [E]

Michael Marcil asked:

> can anyone tell me if flemish would have been spoken in Saint-Omer
> (Sint-Omaar), Artois during the 17th century?

A more or less West-Flemish dialect was spoken in Saint-Omer (Flemish:
Sint-Omaars) well into the 19th century. The higher social classes graduadly
started to switch to French (or Picard) in the 18th century though. On the
other hand: Flemish continued to be spoken well into the 20th century in the
suburbs of Pont Haut (Femish: Hoogbrug) and Lyzel (Liezel). In fact, the
editors of the Woordenboek van de VLaamse Dialecten (Dictionary of Flemish
Dialects), issued by the University of Ghent, still have an Flemish speaking
informant in the village of Clairmarais (only about 3 miles north of
Saint-Omer). Or at least had untill very recently.
The dialect of Saint-Omer and the surrounding area was a transitional
dialect between West-Flemish and the germanic language of the area of
Boulogne (switched to French in the 13th century), which had a very strong
Saxon component because of Saxon settlements in that area. A lot of
placenames in the area of Boulogne have the Saxon suffix -thun or -hen
(-hem), e.g. Audincthun, Baincthun, Terlincthun, Verlincthun, Echinghen,
Maninghen, Wacquinghen, Halinghen, etc.

Regards,

Marco Evenhuis