LL-L "Phonology" 2003.08.29 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Aug 29 14:36:36 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 29.AUG.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: GaidhealdeAlba at aol.com <GaidhealdeAlba at aol.com>
Subject: Phonetics

Hello Lowlanders,

I've been wondering about the sound /hw/ in English and its prevelance among
English and Scots speakers. I'm interested to know how widespread it is in
the US, the UK, and throughout the Lowlands world. Is it common in other
Lowlandic languages, outside of Scots and English? I have always thought
that it was common in the Southern US, parts of England, and Scotland, but
I'm not sure. To be frank, I want to know because a few friends of mine
claim that no one says it as /hw/.

I don't quite remember if I've asked this question or if it's been asked by
someone else before, Ron. If I have, I apologize.

Beannachdan,
Uilleam [Og mhic Sheumais]

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Phonology

LÃ  math, a Uilleam!

I vaguely remember that we talked about this.  But even if you did ask this
before, don't worry, because, alas, none of us is getting any younger (
:) ), and it's hard to discuss any topic to death here.  If in doubt, you
can always check our archives
(http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/lowlands-l.html), doing a search
with "substring" checked.

Slà inte mhòr agad!