LL-L "Phonology" 2003.08.29 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Aug 29 16:47:53 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 29.AUG.2003 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Szelog, Mike <Mike.Szelog at CITIZENSBANK.com>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2003.08.29 (05) [E]

Hello all,

I remember in grammar school in "phonics" being taught the "proper"
pronunciation of the /hw/ sound. Our teacher really drilled it into us. We
were told this was the correct pronunciation, but here in New Hampshire,
nobody says it that way! It's more a sound, as others have mentioned,
associated with the Southern US. So, though it's still taught, the only
people who seem to use it are ones where it's a "normal" sound in their
accent/dialect.

Mike S
Manchester, NH - USA