LL-L "Lexicon" 2003.08.30 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Aug 31 03:32:19 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 30.AUG.2003 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lexicon

Here are some further observations about Lowlands Saxon (Low German) lexical
issues.

In many dialects of Northern Germany (and also in Mennonite _Plautdietsch_,
I believe) there are clear signs of lexical loss with regard to names of
countries, ethnic groups, etc., older “native” terms having been replaced by
German loans.  For example:

Griechenland (< G. Griechenland) ‘Greece’
Griech(e) (< G. Grieche) ‘Greek (male)’
Griechin (< G. Griechin) ‘Greek (female)’
griech(i)sch (< G. griechisch) ‘Greek’ (adj.)
Native:
Grekenland ~ Gräkenland ‘Greece’
Greek ~ Grääk ‘Greek (male)’
Greeksch(e) ~ Grääksch(e) ‘Greek (female)’
greeksch ~ grääksch ‘Greek’ (adj.)

Türkei (< G. Türkei) ‘Turkey’
Türk(e) (< G. Türke) ‘Turk (male)’
Türksch(e) ~ Türkin (< Türkin) ‘Turk (female)’
türkisch (< G. türkisch) ‘Turkish’
Native:
Törkie ~ Törkee (Törk(e)y) ‘Turkey’
Törk(e) ‘Turk (male)’
Törksch(e) ‘Turk (female)’
törksch ‘Turkish’

Schweden (G. Schweden) ‘Sweden’
Schweed’ ~ Schwede (< G. Schwede) ‘Swede (male)’
Schweedsch(e) ~ Schwedin (< G. Schwedin) ‘Swede (female)’
schweedsch ~ schwedisch (< G. schwedisch) ‘Swedish’
Native:
Sweden (Sweyden) ‘Sweden’
Sweed’ (< Swede) [Sweyd’ < Sweyde] ‘Swede (male)’
Sweedsch(e) (Sweydsch(e)) ‘Swede (female)’
sweedsch (Sweydsch) ‘Swedish’

Juud’ ~ Jude (< G. Jude) ‘Jew’
Jüüdsch(e) ~ Jüdin (< G. Jüdin) ‘Jewess’
jüüdsch (< G. jüdisch) ‘Jewish’
Native:
Jood’ (< Jode) [Joud’ < Joude] ‘Jew’
Jöödsch(e) (Jöydsch(e)) ‘Jewess’
jöödsch (jöydsch) ‘Jewish’

Zigeuner (< G. Zigeuner) ‘Gypsy (male)’
Zigeunersch(e) ~ Zigeunerin (< G. Zigeunerin) ‘Gypsy (female)’
zigeuner(i)sch (< G. zigeunerisch) ‘Gypsy’ (adj.)
Native:
Tater ‘Gypsy (male)’
Tatersch(e) ‘Gypsy (female)’
tatersch ‘Gypsy’ (adj.)

Astonishingly, even assumedly basic terminology, such as that of fruit and
vegetables, is lost in some dialects; for instance:

Kirsch(e) (< G. Kirsche) ‘cherry’
Native: Kars, Karsbeer, Karsbäär

Pfirsich ~ Firsich ~ Feersich (< G. Pfirsich) ‘peach’
Native: Peersch (peyrsch)

Many speakers of Germany do not understand when I use the abovementioned
native words for the fruit.

Interestingly, these latter items got lost in the dialects of the
fruit-growing areas right around Hamburg, such as that of Olland/Altes Land.
Of course, it ought not surprise anyone that they are lost in the dialects
of Hamburg (yes, there are several of them).  My theory is that business
with “yellow” (i.e. more strongly “High-German”-influenced) Hamburg caused
the dialects of the adjacent areas to lose the native terms of the very
items their speakers grow and sell.

If such things happened in the Lowlands Saxon dialects of the Eastern
Netherlands -- and I assume they did, i.e. there are Dutch importantions --
then these would probably not be as easily identifiable due to the much
closer relationship between LS and Dutch than between LS and German.

Any further observations and thoughts would be appreciated.