LL-L "Anthems" 2003.12.11 (04) [E/Gaelic/German]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Dec 11 18:49:16 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 11.DEC.2003 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Andy (Scots-Online) <andy at scots-online.org>
Subject: LL-L "Anthems" 2003.12.11 (01) [E]

Roger Thijs wrote.
> Subject: Anthems
>
> Read today on the web pages of The Guardian:
>
> -- quote:
> ... Today, sport is virtually the only arena in which the British national
> anthem is both regularly heard and sung with some degree of genuine
> emotional content. And even there, of course, it is summoned only in
support
> of a section of the United Kingdom, the whole of which it purports to
> represent. When Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland are taking part in a
Six
> Nations rugby match or an international football match, the players join
in
> Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau (Land Of My Fathers), Flower of Scotland, or Amhran na
> bhFiann (The Soldier's Song), emphasising their independence -
particularly
> when playing against England...
>
> -- end quote
>
> Question: is the "North-Irish anthem" song sung in Irish?

Is Amhran na bhFiann not the anthem of the Republic?

Andy Eagle

----------

From: Glenn Simpson <westwylam at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: "Anthems" [e]

Dear all,

Technically there is no 'national anthem' of England.
While Rugby Union and Football use God Save the Queen,
which is the UK & Northern Irish 'national anthem'
(and some other places by the way), English Rugby
League and the English Commonwealth Games Team use
'Land of Hope and Glory'. Many would like to see
Jerusalem used.

I like many people would like to see God save the
Queen replaced with a specifically English anthem!

regards,

Glenn Simpson
Northumbrian Language Society
Northumberland
England

----------

From: David Barrow <davidab at telefonica.net.pe>

>From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
>Subject: Anthems
>
>Read today on the web pages of The Guardian:
>
>-- quote:
>... Today, sport is virtually the only arena in which the British national
>anthem is both regularly heard and sung with some degree of genuine
>emotional content. And even there, of course, it is summoned only in
support
>of a section of the United Kingdom, the whole of which it purports to
>represent. When Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland are taking part in a
Six
>Nations rugby match or an international football match, the players join in
>Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau (Land Of My Fathers), Flower of Scotland, or Amhran na
>bhFiann (The Soldier's Song), emphasising their independence - particularly
>when playing against England...
>
>-- end quote
>
>Question: is the "North-Irish anthem" song sung in Irish?
>
>Regards,
>Roger
>
>----------
>
>From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
>Subject: Anthems
>
>I, too, have a question in this connection:
>
>What is the anthem of England?  Is it the same as that of the United
>Kingdome, or is there one that is specific to the country of England?
>
>Cheerio!
>Reinhard/Ron

Hi

(My first posting)

I think 'Jerusalem' has been sung on the odd occasion as the anthem for
England and I think it has been proposed as such but I'm not aware of
any official backing for it as a national anthem

(as my knowledge of lowland languages is very limited will probably be
lurking most of the time)

David Barrow
Englishman living in Peru teaching ESL

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Anthems

Thanks, Glenn.

And welcome, David!  Good of you to join us all the way from Peru.  By the
way, you don't need any "expertise" to post.  Asking questions and relating
experiences are among the legitimate reasons also.

Another question, folks: are there any regional anthems within England, such
as for Northumberland and Cornwall, and, if so, are there versions of them
in the indigenous language varieties?

There are federal state ("Bundesland") anthems in Germany, but as far as I
know there is now Lowlands Saxon (Low German) version of any of the northern
state anthems, which I consider pretty sad (besides disliking most of the
lyrics, but that's a personal thing).  [See below]

Another question: I know that there is a Gaelic version of "The Flower of
Scotland" (see below); but is there a Scots one, and, if not, why not, and
will this be remedied?  I love the tune and would love to hear it sung in
Scots in addition to Scottish English.

And another one: is the "Jerusalem" you are talking about the one ("The New
Jerusalem")  William Blake wrote ("And did those feet in ancient times
...")?

As always generating spin-off questions,
Reinhard/Ron

***

The Flower of Scotland

(Roy Williamson. © The Corries (Music) Ltd.)
1.
   O flower of Scotland
   When will we see
   Your like again
   That fought and died for
   Your wee bit hill and glen
   And stood against him
   Proud Edward's army
   And sent him homeward
   Tae think again
2.
   The hills are bare now
   And autumn leaves lie thick and still
   O'er land that is lost now
   Which those so dearly held
   And stood against him
   Proud Edward's army
   And sent him homeward
   Tae think again
3.
   Those days are passed now
   And in the past they must remain
   But we can still rise now
   And be the nation again
   And stood against him
   Proud Edward's army
   And sent him homeward
   Tae think again

***

Fhlùir na h-Albann
(John Angus Macleod's Gaelic Translation of "The Flower of Scotland")
1.
   O Fhlùir na h-Albann,
   cuin a chì sinn
   an seòrsa laoich
   a sheas gu bàs 'son
   am bileag feòir is fraoich,
   a sheas an aghaidh
   feachd uailleil Iomhair
   's a ruaig e dhachaidh
   air chaochladh smaoin?
2.
   Na cnuic tha lomnochd
   's tha duilleach Foghair
   mar bhrat air là r,
   am fearann caillte
   dan tug na seòid ud grà dh,
   a sheas an aghaidh
   feachd uailleil Iomhair
   's a ruaig e dhachaigh
   air chaochladh smaoin.
3.
   Tha 'n eachdraidh dùinte
   ach air dìochuimhne
   chan fheum i bhith,
   is faodaidh sinn èirigh
   gu bhith nar Rìoghachd a-rìs
   a sheas an aghaidh
   feachd uailleil Iomhair
   's a ruaig e dhachaidh
   air chaochladh smaoin.

Sound: http://acc6.its.brooklyn.cuny.edu/~phalsall/sounds/flowerscot.mid

***

North German Anthems:

BRANDENBURG:
1.
   Märkische Heide,
   Märkischer Sand
   Sind des Märkers Freude,
   Sind sein Heimatland.
Refrain:
      Steige hoch, du roter Adler,
      Hoch über Sumpf und Sand,
      Hoch über dunkle Kiefernwälder,
      Heil dir mein Brandenburger Land.
2.
   Uralte Eichen,
   Dunkler Buchenhain,
   Grünende Birken
   Stehen am Wiesenrain.
      Steige hoch . . . . . .
3.
   Blauende Seen,
   Wiesen und Moor,
   Liebliche Täler,
   Schwankendes Rohr.
      Steige hoch . . . . . .
4.
   Knorrige Kiefern
   Leuchten im Abendrot,
   Sah'n wohl frohe Zeiten,
   Sah'n auch märk'sche Not.
      Steige hoch . . . . . .
5.
   Bürger und Bauern
   Vom märk'schen Geschlecht,
   Hielten stets in Treu
   Zur märk'schen Heimat fest!
   Steige hoch . . . . . .

6.
   Hie Brandenburg allewege -
   Sei unser Losungswort!
   Dem Vaterland die Treue
   In alle Zeiten fort.
      Steige hoch . . . . . .

***

BREMEN:
1.
   Ich kenn' eine alte deutsche Stadt,
   Den Schlüssel führt sie im Wappen,
   Manch ferne Gestad er erschlossen hat,
   Der silberne Schlüssel von Bremen.
   Bremer Jugend, frisch und frei,
   Mit Leib und Seele sind wir dabei,
   Bremer Jugend, frisch und frei,
   Platz da für uns, Straße frei!
2.
   Ein steinerner Riese aus uralter Zeit,
   Standhaft steht er am Markte
   Stolz wacht er für Freiheit, Gerechtigkeit,
   Der Roland am Rathaus zu Bremen.
   Bremer Jugend, frisch und frei,
   Mit Leib und Seele sind wir dabei.
   Bremer Jugend, frisch und frei,
   Platz da für uns, Straße frei!

***

Hamburg:
(Sound: http://www.hamburg.de/Dibis/werbung/niedersachsenlied.mid)
1.
   Stadt Hamburg an der Elbe Auen,
   Wie bist du stattlich anzuschauen!
   Mit Deiner Türme hoch Gestalt
   und Deiner Schiffe Mastenwald.
Refrain:
      Heil über dir, heil über dir,
      Hammonia, Hammonia!
      O wie so herrlich stehst du da!
2.
   Reich blühet dir auf allen Wegen
   des Fleißes Lohn, des Wohlstands Segen:
   Soweit die deutsche Flagge weht,
   in Ehren Hamburgs Namen steht.
        Heil über dir, ...
3.
   In Kampf und Not bewährt aufs Neue
   Hat sich der freien Bürger Treue
   Zur Tat für Deutschlands Ruhm bereit,
   Wie in der alten Hansezeit.
        Heil über dir, ...
4.
   Der Becher kreis' in froher Runde,
   Und es erschall aus Herz und Munde:
   "Gott wolle ferneres Gedeih'n
   der treuen Vaterstadt verleih'n!"
        Heil über dir, ...

***

Lower Saxony:
(Sound: http://www.hamburg.de/Dibis/werbung/niedersachsenlied.mid)
1.
   Von der Weser bis zur Elbe, von dem Harz bis an das Meer
   stehen Niedersachsens Söhne: eine feste Burg und Wehr.
   Fest wie uns´re Eichen halten allezeit wir stand
   wenn Stürme brausen über’s deutsche Vaterland.
Refrain:
      Wir sind die Niedersachsen, sturmfest und erdverwachsen,
      heil Herzog Widukind's Stamm !
2.
   Wo fielen die römischen Schergen ? Wo versank die welsche Brut ?
   In Niedersachsens Bergen, an Niedersachsens Wut.
   Wer warf den römischen Adler nieder in den Sand ?
   Wer hielt die Freiheit hoch im deutschen Vaterland ?
Refrain:
      Wir sind die Niedersachsen, sturmfest und erdverwachsen,
      heil Herzog Widukind's Stamm !
3.
   Auf blühend roter Heide starben einst viel tausend Mann,
   für Niedersachsentreu traf sie des Franken Bann.
   Vieltausend Brüder fielen von des Henkers Hand,
   vieltausend Brüder für ihr Niedersachsenland !
Refrain:
      So war´n die Niedersachsen, sturmfest und erdverwachsen,
      heil Herzog Widukind's Stamm !
4.
   Aus der Väter Blut und Wunden wächst der Söhne Heldenmut,
   Niedersachsen soll´s bekunden: für die Freiheit Gut und Blut !
   Fest wie unsere Eichen halten allezeit wir stand,
   wenn Stürme brausen über´s deutsche Vaterland.
Refrain:
      So sind die Niedersachsen, sturmfest und erdverwachsen,
      heil Herzog Widukind's Stamm !

***

MECKLENBURG-WESTERN POMERANIA:
(to be replaced)

***

NORTH-RHINE-WESTPHALIA:
1.
   Ihr mögt den Rhein, den stolzen, preisen,
   Der in dem Schoß der Reben liegt;
   Wo in den Bergen ruht das Eisen,
   Da hat die Mutter mich gewiegt.
   Hoch auf dem Fels die Tannen steh'n,
   Im grünen Tal die Herden geh'n,
   Als Wächter an des Hofes Saum
   Reckt sich empor der Eichenbaum.
   |: Da ist's wo meine Wiege stand,
   O grüß dich Gott, Westfalenland! :|
2.
   Wir haben keine süßen Reben
   Und schöner Worte Überfluß,
   Und haben nicht sobald für jeden
   Den Brudergruß und Bruderkuß.
   Wenn du uns willst willkommen sein,
   So schau auf's Herz, nicht auf den Schein,
   Und sieh' uns grad hinein ins Aug!
   Gradaus, das ist Westfalenbrauch,
   |: Es fragen nichts von Spiel und Tand,
   Die Männer im Westfalenland. :|
3.
   Und uns're Frauen, uns're Mädchen,
   Mit Augen blau wie Himmelsgrund,
   Sie spinnen nicht die Liebespfädchen
   Zum Scherz nur für die müß'ge Stund.
   Ein frommer Engel hält die Wacht,
   In ihrer Seele Tag und Nacht,
   Und treu in Wonne, treu im Schmerz,
   Bleibt bis zum Tod ein liebes Herz.
   |: Glückselig, wessen Arm umspannt,
   Ein Liebchen aus Westfalenland! :|
4.
   Behüt dich Gott, du rote Erde,
   Du Land von Wittekind und Teut!
   Bis ich zu Staub und Asche werde,
   Mein Herz sich seiner Heimat freut.
   Du Land Westfalen, Land der Mark,
   Wie deine Eichestämme stark,
   Dich segnet noch der blasse Mund
   Im Sterben, in der letzten Stund!
   |: Du Land wo meine Wiege stand,
   O grüß dich Gott, Westfalenland. :|

***

SAXONY-aNHALT:
(to be replaced)

***

Schleswig-Holstein:
(Sound: http://www.hamburg.de/Dibis/werbung/schleswig.mid)
1.
   Schleswig-Holstein, meerumschlungen,
   deutscher Sitte, hohe Wacht,
   wahre treu, was schwer errungen,
   bis ein schönrer Morgen tagt!
   Schleswig-Holstein, stammverwandt,
   wanke nicht, mein Vaterland
2,
   Schleswig-Holstein, stammverwandt,
   wanke nicht, mein Vaterland Ob auch wild die Brandung tose,
   Flut auf Flut, von Bai zu Bai:
   O, laß blühn in deinem Schoße
   deutsche Tugend, deutsche Treu.
   Schleswig-Holstein, stammverwandt,
   bleibe treu, mein Vaterland!
   Schleswig-Holstein, stammverwandt,
   bleibe treu, mein Vaterland!
3.
   Doch wenn inn´re Stürme wüten,
   drohend sich der Nord erhebt,
   schütze Gott die holden Blüten,
   die ein mildrer Süd belebt!
   Schleswig-Holstein, stammverwandt,
   stehe fest, mein Vaterland!
4.
   Schleswig-Holstein, stammverwandt,
   stehe fest, mein Vaterland!
   Gott ist stark auch in den Schwachen,
   wenn sie gläubig ihm vertrau´n;
   zage nimmer, und dein Nachen
   wird trotz Sturm den Hafen schau´n!
   Schleswig-Holstein, stammverwandt,
   harre aus, mein Vaterland!
5.
   Schleswig-Holstein, stammverwandt,
   harre aus, mein Vaterland! Von der Woge, die sich bäumet
   längs dem Belt am Ostseestrand,
   bis zur Flut die ruhlos schäumet
   an der Düne flücht’gem Sand. -
   Schleswig-Holstein, stammverwandt,
   stehe fest, mein Vaterland!
6.
   Schleswig-Holstein, stammverwandt,
   stehe fest, mein Vaterland! Sinnend blinkt die Königsau,
   und wo rauschend stolze Barken
   elbwärts ziehn zum Holstengau. -
   Schleswig-Holstein, stammverwandt,
   bleibe treu, mein Vaterland!