LL-L "Anthems" 2003.12.12 (02) [D/E/N/S]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Dec 12 16:11:59 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 12.DEC.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Brian Holton <ctbah at polyu.edu.hk>
Subject: LL-L "Anthems" 2003.12.11 (04) [E/Gaelic/German]

With regard to local anthems, most of the towns in the Scottish Borders have
their own songs - the hornpipe "Souters of Selkirk" and the lament "Flouers
o the Forest" for Selkirk, the march "Teribus y Terioden" for Hawick (an
ancient war cry, it's thought to be Cumbric Tir y Bas Tir y Odin - land of
death and land of Oden), "Sour Ploums o Galashies" and "Braw Lads o Gala
Water". And many more.

Taking Selkirk alone, the annual Common Riding ceremonies involve constant
singing: many of the songs were borrowed in the later 19th century, when
Selkirk Silver Band bandmaster Chris Reekie revised the proceedings. some
are songs collected or written by Robert Burns, one is a New Year Carol
borrowed from Yorkshire ("Hail Smiling Morn"), another is a hymn ("Lead
Kindly Light" at a  brisk march tempo), a couple are victorian parlour
ballads, some were written in the 19th or 20th century by Selkirk writers,
and some are anonymous folksongs or marches, which may (like "Flouers o the
Forest") be of great age.

Alan Lomax recorded the Selkirk Common Riding ceremonies in the early '50s,
and fragnment are available on the Smithsonian Institute CD series "Folk and
Primitive Music of the British Isles" (title quoted from memory).

Up wi the souters o Selkrik
An doun wi the Earl o Hume
An here's ti ilka braw gallant
at weirs the single-soled shoon!

brian

----------

From: Glenn Simpson <westwylam at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: "Anthems" [E/N]

Dear lowlanders,

I suppose I better include the Northumberland/Tyneside
'national anthem', the Blaydon Races. Id gans summick
lyke this:

Aa went te Blaydon Races, 'twas on the ninth o' June,
Eyghteen hundred an' sixty two on a summer's efternoon.
Aa tyuk thi bus fra Balmbra's, an' she wes heavy laden;
Away we went alang Collingwood Street, that's on thi road to Blaydon.
Oh, lads, ye shud a' seen us gannin,
Passin the folks upon thi road, just as they wor stannin.
Thor wes lots o' lads an' lasses there, aal wi' smilin fyaces,
Gannin alang thi Scotswood Road te see thi Blaydon Races.

We flew past Airmstrang's factroy, an' up te thi Robin Adair.
Just gannin doon te the railway bridge, the bus-wheel flew off theor.
The lasses lost thor petticoats off, an' the veils that hide thor faces;
Aa got two black eyes an' a broken nose in gan' te Blaydon Races.

Oh, lads, ...

When we gat the wheel put on, away we wen agyen,
But them that had thor noses broke, they came back ower hyem.
Some went te the dispensary, an' some te Dr. Gibbs,
An' some te the infirmary, te mend thor broken ribs.

Oh, lads, ...

Noo when we gat te Paradise, thor wes bonny gam begun.
Thor wes fower an' twenty on the bus, man, hoo they danced and sung!
They caalled on me te sing a sang, aa sang them Paddy Fagan;
Aa danced a jig an' swung me twig, that day aa went to Blaydon.

Oh, lads, ...

We flew acros the Chain Bridge reet into Blaydon toon,
The bellman he was caalin there, they caalled him Jacky Broon.
As saw him taakin te some cheps, an' them he was persuadin
Te gan an' see George Ridley's show in the Mechanics' Haal at Blaydon.

Glenn Simpson
Northumbrian Language Society
Prudhoe
Northumberland

----------

From: Glenn Simpson <westwylam at yahoo.co.uk>

Hi folks,

Interesting stuff, anthems, and all your attention for them.
Maybe you would like some clarification about the confusing habit of having
more than 1 'anthem'.

In old days -say 19th century- it was use that the kingdoms in Europe
[including scandinavia] had one song for the country and one song for the
royal family. {Just as they had 2 flags.}
In some 'royal' countries they still have this difference.
But it never is as it was and they started confusing the things.

As for the Netherlands: our national anthem 'Wilhelmus' was the song for the
royal family. But
'orange people' wanted to have this song as a national anthem. And so it
went.
The 'original' national anthem was 'Wien neerlands bloed door d'aadren
vloeit'. Last time this was played as national anthem seemed to have been in
1892 when it was played by the navy military band.
[However, no lover of music and poetry will regret the loss of this song.]

vr.gr.
Theo Homan

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Anthems

Thanks for all the input above.

Below is some of the stuff mentioned.

***

Up wi the Souters o Selkirk

   It's up wi' the Souters o' Selkirk,
   An' doon wi' the Earl o' Hume,
   An' here's tae a' the braw laddies
   That wear the single-sol'd shoon.
   It's up wi' the Souters o' Selkirk,
   For they are baith trusty an' leal,
   An' up wi' the lads o' the Forest,
   An' doon wi' the Merse to the deil.

More information:
http://www.electricscotland.com/si/features/food/scotch_cookies.htm

***

Flouers o the Forest
(Alison Rutherford Cockburn (1712–1794))

   I've seen the smiling
   Of fortune beguiling,
   I've tasted her pleasures,
   And felt her decay;
   Sweet is her blessing,
   And kind her caressing,
   But now they are fled
   And fled far away.

   I've seen the forest
   Adorned the foremost,
   Wi' flowers o' the fairest
   Baith pleasant and gay,
   Sae bonnie was their blooming,
   Their scent the air perfuming,
   But now they are withered away.

   I've seen the morning,
   With gold hills adorning,
   And loud tempests storming,
   Before parting day,
   I've seen Tweed's silver streams,
   Glitt'ring in the sunny beams,
   Grow drumlie and dark,
   As they roll'd on their way;

   O fickle fortune!
   Why this cruel sportin?
   Oh! Why thus perplex
   Us poor sons of a day?
   Thy frown canna fear me,
   Thy smile canno cheer me,
   Since the flowers o' the forest
   Are a' wede away.

More information and sound: http://www.contemplator.com/scotland/forest.html
http://www.clanlindsay.com/flowers_of_the_forest.htm
http://www.bartleby.com/41/299.html

***

Braw Lads o' Gala Water

   Braw, braw lads o' Gala Water,
   Bonnie lads o' Gala Water;
   I'll kilt my coats abune my knee,
   And follow my love through the water;
   Braw, braw lads.

   Lothian lads are black as deils,
   And Selkirk lads are no' much better;
   I'll kilt my coats abune my knee
   And follow the lad o' Gala Water;
   Braw, braw lad.

   It's ower the moss and doon yon glen,
   And ower the bonnie blooming heather,
   Nicht or day he bears the gree,
   The bonnie lad o' Gala Water;
   Braw, braw lad.

   Corn rigs are fine and bonnie,
   A block o' sheep is muckle better,
   The wind will shake a field of oats
   While lambs are frisklin' in Gala Water;
   Braw, braw lads.

   Adieu, soor plooms o' Galashiels,
   Tae you, my faither, here's a letter;
   It's I'm awa' wi' the black herd lad,
   To bide wi' him in Gala Water;
   Braw, braw lad.

Further information and music:
http://members.fortunecity.com/theramshorn/braw_braw_lads.htm

***

Hail Smiling Morn

   Hail, smiling morn, smiling morn,
   That tips the hills with gold (2)
   And whose rosy fingers open wide
   the gates of heav'n (2),
   And whose rosy fingers open wide
   the gates of heav'n!

   And all the green fields,
   That nature does enfold,
   All the green fields,
   That nature does enfold,
   At whose bright presence,
   Darkness flies, darkness flies away,
   Flies away! Flies away!

   Hail,  Hail,  Hail,  Hail,
   Hail,  Hail,  Hail,  Hail!

Music: http://www.channel1.com/users/gsilvis/mids/spofhai.mid

***

Lead, Kindly Light

   Lead, kindly Light, amid th’encircling gloom, lead Thou me on!
   The night is dark, and I am far from home; lead Thou me on!
   Keep Thou my feet; I do not ask to see
   The distant scene; one step enough for me.

   I was not ever thus, nor prayed that Thou shouldst lead me on;
   I loved to choose and see my path; but now lead Thou me on!
   I loved the garish day, and, spite of fears,
   Pride ruled my will. Remember not past years!

   So long Thy power hath blest me, sure it still will lead me on.
   O’er moor and fen, o’er crag and torrent, till the night is gone,
   And with the morn those angel faces smile, which I
   Have loved long since, and lost awhile!

   Meantime, along the narrow rugged path, Thyself hast trod,
   Lead, Savior, lead me home in childlike faith, home to my God.
   To rest forever after earthly strife
   In the calm light of everlasting life.

More information and the music:
http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/l/e/leadkind.htm

***

Wilhelmus van Nassouwe
(current version)

   Een nieuw christelijk lied

   Wilhelmus van Nassouwe
   ben ik, van Duitsen bloed,
   den vaderland getrouwe
   blijf ik tot in den dood.
   Een Prinse van Oranje
   ben ik, vrij onverveerd,
   den Koning van Hispanje
   heb ik altijd geëerd.

   In Godes vrees te leven
   heb ik altijd betracht,
   daarom ben ik verdreven,
   om land, om luid gebracht.
   Maar God zal mij regeren
   als een goed instrument,
   dat ik zal wederkeren
   in mijnen regiment.

   Lijdt u, mijn onderzaten
   die oprecht zijt van aard,
   God zal u niet verlaten,
   al zijt gij nu bezwaard.
   Die vroom begeert te leven,
   bidt God nacht ende dag,
   dat Hij mij kracht zal geven,
   dat ik u helpen mag.

   Lijf en goed al te samen
   heb ik u niet verschoond,
   mijn broeders hoog van namen
   hebben 't u ook vertoond:
   Graaf Adolf is gebleven
   in Friesland in den slag,
   zijn ziel in 't eeuwig leven
   verwacht den jongsten dag.

   Edel en hooggeboren,
   van keizerlijken stam,
   een vorst des rijks verkoren,
   als een vroom christenman,
   voor Godes woord geprezen,
   heb ik, vrij onversaagd,
   als een held zonder vreden
   mijn edel bloed gewaagd.

   Mijn schild ende betrouwen
   zijt Gij, o God mijn Heer,
   op U zo wil ik bouwen,
   Verlaat mij nimmermeer.
   Dat ik doch vroom mag blijven,
   uw dienaar t'aller stond,
   de tirannie verdrijven
   die mij mijn hart doorwondt.

   Van al die mij bezwaren
   en mijn vervolgers zijn,
   mijn God, wil doch bewaren
   den trouwen dienaar dijn,
   dat zij mij niet verassen
   in hunnen bozen moed,
   hun handen niet en wassen
   in mijn onschuldig bloed.

   Als David moeste vluchten
   voor Sauel den tiran,
   zo heb ik moeten zuchten
   als menig edelman.
   Maar God heeft hem verheven,
   verlost uit alder nood,
   een koninkrijk gegeven
   in Israël zeer groot.

   Na 't zuur zal ik ontvangen
   van God mijn Heer dat zoet,
   daarna zo doet verlangen
   mijn vorstelijk gemoed:
   dat is, dat ik mag sterven
   met eren in dat veld,
   een eeuwig rijk verwerven
   als een getrouwen held.

   Niet doet mij meer erbarmen
   in mijnen wederspoed
   dan dat men ziet verarmen
   des Konings landen goed.
   Dat u de Spanjaards krenken,
   o edel Neerland zoet,
   als ik daaraan gedenke,
   mijn edel hart dat bloedt.

   Als een prins opgezeten
   met mijner heires-kracht,
   van den tiran vermeten
   heb ik den slag verwacht,
   die, bij Maastricht begraven,
   bevreesde mijn geweld;
   mijn ruiters zag men draven
   zeer moedig door dat veld.

   Zo het den wil des Heren
   op dien tijd had geweest,
   had ik geern willen keren
   van u dit zwaar tempeest.
   Maar de Heer van hierboven,
   die alle ding regeert,
   die men altijd moet loven,
   en heeft het niet begeerd.

   Zeer christlijk was gedreven
   mijn prinselijk gemoed,
   standvastig is gebleven
   mijn hart in tegenspoed.
   Den Heer heb ik gebeden
   uit mijnes harten grond,
   dat Hij mijn zaak wil redden,
   mijn onschuld maken kond.

   Oorlof, mijn arme schapen
   die zijt in groten nood,
   uw herder zal niet slapen,
   al zijt gij nu verstrooid.
   Tot God wilt u begeven,
   zijn heilzaam woord neemt aan,
   als vrome christen leven,-
   't zal hier haast zijn gedaan.

   Voor God wil ik belijden
   en zijner groten macht,
   dat ik tot genen tijden
   den Koning heb veracht,
   dan dat ik God den Heere,
   der hoogsten Majesteit,
   heb moeten obediëren
   in der gerechtigheid.

Further information, the older version and the music:
http://www.wilhelmus.nl/