LL-L "Mennonite matters" 2003.12.17 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Dec 17 15:40:34 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 17.DEC.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Jannie Lawn <jannie.lawn at ntlworld.com>
Subject: LL-L "Anthems" 2003.12.12 (02) [D/E/N/S]

Hai all,
Theo Homan wrote: As for the Netherlands: our national anthem 'Wilhelmus'
was the song for the royal family. But 'orange people' wanted to have this
song as a national anthem. And so it went.  The 'original' national anthem
was 'Wien neerlands bloed door d'aadren vloeit'. Last time this was played
as national anthem seemed to have been in 1892 when it was played by the
navy military band.  [However, no lover of music and poetry will regret the
loss of this song.]
What I learned at school was, that het 'Wilhelmus' was the 'real' national
anthem and that the 'Neerlands Bloed' one was the alternative which was
imposed on us during the 2nd world war.  So, do you say that this was
incorrect?  (I went to school not long after the 2nd world war, so what
happened during that period partially influenced what we were told and
taught.)
Groeten,
Jannie Lawn-Zijlstra, Cambridge UK

----------

From: Jannie Lawn <jannie.lawn at ntlworld.com>
Subject: LL-L "Anthems" 2003.12.11 (06) [E]

Hallo Lowlanders,

Tom Maguire wrote: As a Scotsman living in Catalonia I believe the regional
areas of the U.K. should wake up and assert their specific identity.  (No
flame intended. It's a clamour for recognition of what there is, not what
"they" tell us exists.)

Apologies for the slow response.  Just want to say: I quite agree with the
above comment. And I would like to add a 'tongue in cheek' comment and
suggest they change the name of the UK to 'D.K.' ('Divided Kingdom')...

Cheekily yours,
Jannie Lawn-Zijlstra, Cambridge, DK