LL-L "Lexicon" 2003.12.27 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Dec 28 04:12:12 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 27.DEC.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lexicon

Sam Claire wrote:

> Hello all:  Recently there was a list from an Aussie giving some local
> expressions. Would like a comprehensive list of Australian terms.  I like
> compare them to U.S. and British.  Also a translation of same that
> Lowlanders use. Very interesting    Sam

There's a whole bunch of sites that can help you.  See a small selection
below.

Note though that all words and expressions you find cannot be used
indiscriminately.  Australian English has many modes.  While some
expressions may be safely used even in "polite" contexts others might be
perceived as outright vulgar in certain contexts, and most expressions fall
somewhere in between.  Most of the more "earthy" and "colorful" ones might
be used in truly layed-back atmospheres and relationships (whichyou can come
by more easily in Australia than almost anywhere else in the world,
depending on how much you are deemed to be trying to fit in).
What I am trying to say is that a measure of caution is advisable in
actually *using* many of the expressions you find.  If they are not
inappropriate within a given context then some native speakers might be led
to believe you are patrionizing them or are making fun of them, especially
if you mispronounce them, which in the case of North Americans may simply
mean "pronounce them," if you get my drift.

Enjoy anyway!

***
English:
http://goaustralia.about.com/cs/language/a/aussiespeak2.htm