LL-L "Help needed" 2003.02.04 (10) [D/E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Tue Feb 4 21:31:26 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 04.FEB.2003 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Gustaaf Van Moorsel <gvanmoor at cv3.cv.nrao.edu>
Subject: LL-L "Help needed" 2003.02.04 (09) [E]

Martijna Briggs wrote:

> I am reading the text under a 17th century print about the demise of Flora
> and the Floristen at the end of the Dutch tulipmania and I cannot find the
> meaning of the name: duyemelker. I found a picture of period furniture
with
> the word 'duye' above it: no more explanation. is there someone who can
shed
> light on this mystery

'Duyemelker' looks very similar to modern Dutch 'duive-
melker', someone whose keeps carrier pigeons for a hobby.
(Duif -> pigeon/dove).  I don't know why they are being
called pigeonmilkers!

Gustaaf

----------

>I am reading the text under a 17th century print about the demise
of Flora
>and the Floristen at the end of the Dutch tulipmania and I cannot
find the
>meaning of the name: duyemelker. I found a picture of period
furniture with
>the word 'duye' above it: no more explanation. is there someone who
can shed
>light on this mystery/

Looks like an old spelling of modern Dutch "duivenmelker" to me. Van
Dale gives as English translations: pigeon fancier, pigeon flyer,
pigeon breeder. German: Taubenzüchter, Taubenhändler.
--
http://rudhar.com

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Help needed

Van Dale Dictionary:

 ´dui·ven·melk (de ~)
            vetachtige substantie die door de krop van duiven wordt
            afgescheiden en waarmee de jongen gevoed worden

In other words, _duivenmelk_ is the fatty, milky "baby food" stored in a
dove's or pigeon's crop.  I have heard that pigeon breeders remove it and
feed it to the young birds of their choice.  In Dutch, pigeon breeders thus
became known as "pigeon milkers" (maybe because it sounds nice and absurd,
possibly was a nickname at first).

What this has to do with furniture, I do not know.  Perhaps a stool on which
a "pigeon breeder" sits (a "pigeon milking stool"!) or a cage in which he or
she keeps pigeons?   I am not sure if you found the picture of period
furniture
entitled "Duye" in combination with _duyemelker_ or separately, Martijna.