LL-L "Perceptions" 2003.02.07 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Feb 7 16:01:31 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 07.FEB.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Criostoir O Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Perception" 2003.02.06 (09) [E]

Ian wrote: "There is a huge difference between
'nationality' and 'national identity'... Likewise, I'm sure Cri[o]stoir
isn't remotely concerned when he is referred to as just
'Irish'!"

Because of my (Nottingham) accent, I usually get referred to as "English" -
especially here in Derry - which grates after a while. I see myself as Irish
and Cornish (Cornish mother, Irish father, grew up/lived in Nottingham,
Ireland, Cornwall, Nottingham, Ireland, Australia, Ireland in that order) in
equal measure - binational, if you will. If people call me "just Irish"
that's fine. If people call me "just Cornish" that's fine too. In Australia
I was "a pom" no matter how much I protested...

You're right about the nationality/national identity difference, though. My
wife is an Australian (with an Australian accent) with dual Irish and
Australian citizenship. Yesterday she received her first "go back to your
own country" remark in Derry. She took great relish in retorting that "her
own country" was Ireland and that she had the passport to prove it.

Criostóir.

---------