LL-L "Etymology" 2003.02.14 (04) [A/E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Feb 14 21:32:50 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 14.FEB.2003 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Jacobus Le Grange <legrangej at ananzi.co.za>
Subject: Afrikaans words and usages

Hello alle Laaglanders,

Having been away for some weeks I see that I missed out on
some wonderful discussions.

Thanks to all who spoke about appelkose in Afrikaans.

This had me thinking about appelliefie ( with a variant
appelliepie) the Cape gooseberry  and moerbei  -Mulberry
 the latter is probably Nederlands as well. I am
particularly interested to see if the Zeeuws  speakers and
Brabanders  have anything  to add to this .

Ja nee misken is daar  ander woorde wat ook miskien
weerklank sal vind in ons neefies en niggies se tale,
byvoorbeeld:
Bobbejaan  - Ndl  baviaan   E: Baboon
Bol  in die frase "Hy is gepik in die bol. He is soft in
the head. Bol is gebruik vir  â¿¿n ronde voorwerp  op
Engels  Globe or  Sphere Orb ens.

Lekker bly almal.

My you have an Al Capone day that goes off like a shot J